Saturday, March 25, 2017

Reign Review: 4x03 "Leaps of Faith"

I'm getting behind on Reign reviews despite being caught up with the episodes. Because of that, they're blurring together in my mind somewhat, so here's hoping that I can successfully remember what happens in this episode and not another episode.

Gideon's suggestion that he marry Mary came out of nowhere for me. Why did he suggest it when he did? It felt rather odd. Maybe he just thought that enough had happened to finally convince Elizabeth that it was something that could work, but it was strange. Actually, I'm surprised he would actually ask Mary to do such a thing, and I'm surprised at how close Mary came to taking the offer. Maybe that's because, historically, I knew it wouldn't happen, but it's also just not something I can see Mary doing as a character. Despite Gideon's comments about her being born into a job that Elizabeth angled for, Mary has always taken being queen seriously and shown countless times that she considers Scotland her highest priority.

Lady Lennox meeting Catherine would be a sight to see. I imagine that, if we were to see more of her, she would become a similar presence in Mary's life (at least similar to Catherine in the earlier days of the show). As things with Mary and Darnley move forward, I wonder if she'll stay in England or move to Scotland. That could be a source of plenty of conflict.

I feel very nervous about Lady Knox and how her "romance" (if one can even call it that) with James is going to affect her. Considering how terrible John Knox has been, I don't see him as being the forgiving sort, and I can't imagine him being kind to his wife if he finds out something's going on. And since this is TV, he'll eventually figure out that something is going on. I'm glad that we've seen that James is conflicted about the entire thing because I feel plenty of sympathy for her watching it all play out.

That priest thinking Claude was holy was one of my favorite moments of the episode.

It continues to amaze me how much Leesa is like Catherine while she continues to oppose Catherine at every turn. Despite her hatred, Leesa is undoubtedly the most like Catherine of all of Catherine's children.

From the first time Narcisse suggests getting a girl for Charles I was nervous. Considering everything happening with him lately, that was destined to be a disaster. I remember fearing for her safety before the episode even got to the scene with them together, let alone after that. It was very worrying, but I'll say more on it when I'm reviewing the episode where you learn a little bit more about where he took her.

No comments:

Post a Comment