Monday, July 18, 2016

My Favorite Animated Movies

I quite like animated movies. They're some of my all time favorite movies. I'm terrible at having favorites and ranking them because, if I'm allowed to, I'll go on and on until I've added everything to the list. Keep that in mind while reading this list. There are plenty more I would have happily added, but I'm trying to keep it reasonable. Because of that, a movie I love could very well be missing from this list.

Beauty and the Beast. If you ask me what my favorite movie is, this will be my answer. I'm going to be honest with you, I found most of the princess movies from before the Disney Renaissance boring as a kid, and I still kind of do. I just can't sit through Snow White or Sleeping Beauty without feeling bored. The Disney Renaissance princesses and on, though, I love. Of course, the princess who loves to read would be my favorite. I also sometimes wonder if my love for Beauty and the Beast led to my fondness for werewolves later...

How to Train Your Dragon 1 and 2. This is likely the only sequel that will be on the list. I'll watch Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas (How many people have actually seen it?) and enjoy it, but it's not on my list of favorites. Both HTTYD movies blew me away though. I talked about the second one in a video recently. I'll  talk about the franchise as more in the future. They're genuinely great movies that don't get the amount of love that they should.

Zootopia. I think this will be the newest addition to the list as it has only come out on DVD recently. This is one of those movies that you want to push everyone to watch. I've heard it described as one of the most important movies Disney has made in recent years, and I completely get it. I mentioned this in my review, but it kind of reminds me of the Animal Farm of our generation. But funner.

The Princess and the Frog. Speaking of underrated movies! Why does no one talk about The Princess and the Frog? Tiana is one of my top three favorite princesses (the third is coming below), but this movie is hardly even talked about. I don't think people dislike it; I think they haven't seen it. That's a huge shame.

Brave. Now, this is a movie that people do seem to have seen but have disliked, although fewer people have seen it than the more popular Disney movies. I can't for the life of me figure it out. Merida rounds out my top three favorite Disney princesses. I knew she would from the line "I'll be shooting for my own hand". Plus, the entire movie is about her relationship with her mother. I genuinely can't understand what there is to dislike about it.

WALL-E. This would be my second favorite Pixar movie after Brave. One of my favorite aspects of it is that it's a movie about robots. The beginning of the movie has no dialogue, and neither one of the main characters have facial features to show off emotion that well. Yet the movie manages to be touching. Plus, we can put it down as another movie with an important message.

Mulan. Mulan is the first movie I remember seeing in the theater, and I'm pretty sure I fell in love with it immediately. The only reason Mulan isn't in my top three princesses (which would then be top four I guess) is because, despite Disney including her in the official lineup, she's not actually a princess. I struggle with considering her a princess for that reason. I mean, we can have awesome animated Disney movies with female leads that aren't princess movies. We don't have to turn Mulan into a princess when she isn't one. (Although, considering the Disney princess lineup is in need of some diversity, I think it would be great if Disney created an actual princess who was Asian.)

Shrek. Shrek might be one of the "classical" animated movies of my generation. I'll let you figure out for yourself what that says about my generation. While it's not my number one favorite, it does make it onto my list of favorites. I found Donkey hilarious when I was a kid, and I still find him hilarious now. Also, I had to include more Dreamworks on this list because Dreamworks doesn't get enough love, which is why we're having to wait so long for How to Train Your Dragon 3. (Seriously, guys, watch How to Train Your Dragon.) When it comes to Dreamworks though, Shrek is pretty much their Mickey Mouse. Which, now that I think about it, might say something about the difference between Disney and Dreamworks.

There are plenty of other animated movies I wish I could include. Even now they're still flying through my mind, but I think nine is more than enough. I had planned to cut myself off before then. If you haven't watched any of these, I'd recommend them. And remember, everyone, cartoons are not just for kids.

What are some of your favorite animated movies? Do you agree with my choices?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, yes to all of these! The only one I didn't like much was Brave and the only one I haven't watched yet is How To Train Your Dragon 2. I LOVE The Princess and the Frog; Tiana is one of my favorite princesses next to Rapunzel. Shoutout to POC!

    Thanks for stopping by Princessica of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess and the Frog is such a fun movie, and Rapunzel would probably be my next favorite Disney princess if I were to put together an entire list. Haha.

      Delete
  2. Belle from Beauty and the Beast was my favorite princess when I was growing up. :) I'm glad you brought up Princess and the Frog, though, because by now that's one of the coolest Disney princesses out there. *sighs happily* I'm also in agreement that Zootopia, though still relatively new, was something spectacular. If I were to add something, it would probably be Tangled or The Little Mermaid, since those two are my favorite Disney princess films. :)

    By the way, thanks for stopping by at Sometimes I'm a Story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tangled was one of the movies that I really wanted to include, but I thought my list was getting too long. Rapunzel is one of my favorite princesses.

      And you're welcome! Thank you for stopping by here and commenting as well.

      Delete