Monday, December 27, 2021

Star Trek: Discovery Review: 4x06 "Stormy Weather"

This episode was a tense one that had me on the edge of my seat trying to figure out what would happen next.

Adira is on the bridge for this episode! It's a temporary assignment, but I was still excited to see them in the midst of all the action. I wonder if they'll be back on the bridge at all this season.

While Adira is on the bridge, though, Gray is left by himself and wants to feel useful. I can understand that. It must be strange to have everyone else dealing with something big while you sit around. I love how they linked Gray's story to Zora's. I'm still a little creeped out by how human Zora seems to be becoming, but I think that has to do with how many science fiction stories there are of artificial intelligence trying to take over the world.

This episode did help humanize Zora in a way that put me a bit more at ease in some ways but made me more anxious in others. Zora's newfound doubt in herself seems to hamper her usefulness. It worked out this time, but it does scare me for what it means for the future. I can't stop thinking about that short about Zora and trying to connect this season to that story, which is a big part about why I mentioned earlier that I kind of wish I didn't know anything about that short. I feel like we're heading towards something inevitable instead of the future of Zora being more speculative.

Zora was definitely the star of this episode, and it feels like it's going to be that way for the rest of the season. I'm wondering how much Zora's story and the DMA are going to intertwine. Obviously both are now important, but I wonder if the stories will work together in a way where the explanation for the DMA also helps explore what's happening with Zora or something like that. I suppose I'll have to wait to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment