Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Star Trek: Discovery Review: 4x04 "All is Possible"

Most of what happened in this episode still has me baffled days later, so this review is mostly going to be working through what I think.

At the beginning of the episode, the negotiations for Ni'Var to rejoin the Federation are about to end, and Michael and Saru are invited to the ceremony. Over the course of the episode, it's revealed that they've been asked there to help smooth things over and make sure Ni'Var does actually join, since there's been a snag due to politics.

On one hand, I get it. On the other... It seems odd that Michael and Saru, of all people, are the ones called upon in this situation. Then there's the whole thing between Saru and T'Rina, which seemed to come out of absolutely nowhere. If there were any clues about that before, then I missed them, and it left me feeling very confused. I'm not sure what to think.

The other big storyline in this episode is Tilly helping out on an academy training mission with some cadets. Things to wrong, and they end up in a life or death situation. Honestly, even though Tilly said at the beginning that it wasn't a holo, I thought she was lying at first because how does a training mission go that horribly wrong that quickly? It made the story feel unbelievable to me. If it had been a holo, I would at least have understood them seeing how the cadets fared in such a situation.

At the end of the episode, Tilly has decided to leave Discovery to teach at the Academy instead, and I also have mixed feelings about this. This particular turn at least doesn't feel as out of the blue as Saru and T'Rina at least. There was a line earlier in the season about Adira looking up to Tilly that kind of foreshadows Tilly becoming a teacher, but it still feels like a sudden decision. Yes, Tilly is struggling and searching for meaning, but she made a big decision really quickly. And it feels even stranger after the last season when the crew of the Discovery worked so hard to not be separated from each other. I know some time has passed, but it doesn't feel like they've been there that long.

Mary Wiseman is also a main cast member, and according to interviews, Tilly isn't leaving the show. So I'm curious about what that means and how we'll be seeing her in the rest of the season.

Overall, I'm not sure how to feel about this episode. It's probably my least favorite Discovery episode in a while. Or maybe at all. All I have to say, is that I hope we see Tilly soon because I'm going to miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment