Monday, November 28, 2022

Andor 1x12 "Rix Road" Review

The season finale of Andor has to be my favorite episode of the series so far. A lot happens, and the individual stories happening wound back to each other in a way that felt satisfying but also left a lot open to explore in the future.

Cassian goes back to Ferrix for Maarva's funeral. It felt good to see him reconnect with some of his fiends even though it was under terrible circumstances. I'm incredibly relieved that he was able to be there for Maarva's funeral at all. It actually makes me even sadder that he didn't get to see her before she died because it's clear that she meant a lot to him. Seeing Cassian on Ferrix again really did help the season feel like it had come full circle.

Most of the episode focuses on Ferrix, as many of the characters from throughout the season return there. Mon Mothma's story line is really the only one that continues without going back to Ferrix. This whole season, she's felt a little distant from everything else. I know she's connected to Luthen and especially Vel, so she's not entirely separate, but comparatively speaking, she feels distant. She's the only one who doesn't know anything about Cassian for one.

Instead of worrying about Cassian or Ferrix, Mon accuses her husband of gambling in this episode. He insists that someone is lying to her, but it's obvious that she's the one lying because she wants to be overheard and have a cover story for the money that's been plaguing her all season. 

Not only is Mon Mothma's story more disconnected than the others, but it feels like it hasn't moved that much from episode one. She's hit a lot of road bumps, but she also hasn't been accused of anything yet. She's just taking precautions. People are watching her, and it's clear the tension is building. But it all feels like build up and not any direct action yet. I'm hoping that will change in season two.

We also do get a mention of the Empire defeating Kreegyr in this episode, but it's something we never get to see actually happen, which is basically what I expected.

I wasn't expecting this entire episode (almost) to be Maarva's funeral though. Even Luthen comes to Ferrix for it despite him trying to keep a low profile and the Empire being everywhere. The Empire and Luthen are both looking for Cassian. Syril's there too, but that I completely expected. I'm glad that Cassian did get to see a lot of the funeral because I wasn't sure if he'd come back to Ferrix either.

Maarva's speech that's played at the funeral was very fitting from the finale and was probably one of my favorite things about the episode. It causes a riot to erupt where a group attacks Dedra. Syril ends up saving her, so I'm guessing that she's going to be more open to working closely with him come season two. There whole relationship feels very off to me. I think it's mostly Syril's obsessive personality and the fact that he's already seemed like a stalker at several points in this season. Dedra's a villain, but seeing her get closer to Syril puts me on edge.

During the chaos that erupts at the end of the funeral, Cassian manages to get Bix out of the hotel, but she's in a terrible state. I'm worried about her mental state in season two. Cassian leaves her with a group of friends and promises to join them later, but I'm skeptical that it will happen any time soon.

Instead of joining them, Cassian goes to Luthen's ship. He gives Luthen the chance to either kill him or take him in. It ends like a cliffhanger, but having seen Rogue One, I'm pretty confident Cassian's not getting killed. Still, it does leave me excited to see what sort of work he does with the Resistance next season and whether or not he does end up reuniting with his fiends at all.

Honestly, my biggest wish for season two is more B2EMO. If he and Cassian are reunited at some point next season, then I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment