Saturday, July 23, 2016

Pokemon Go Book Tag


Aentee from Read at Midnight created a Pokemon Go book tag that I'm incredibly excited to be doing today. (Like everyone else, I've been completely sucked in with Pokemon Go recently, and as I'm writing this post, I even have the app open beside me. I just couldn't resist.) She also created the awesome graphics in this post.


This question is impossible for me to answer. Honestly, I've loved reading since the days I was being read to because I couldn't yet do it myself. While I have memories of quite a few of the books I used to read back then, I don't remember many titles. I know that I loved the Bernstein Bears and some different Disney books and this Winnie the Pooh series we had. That's as specific as I can get. By the time I can remember specific titles, we've moved into my late elementary/middle school favorites

If we still have those books, then they're packed away somewhere, so I can't easily go and look through them either. But there were quite a few, and I don't know if I had one stand out favorite book until I read Harry Potter at around age eight. By then I already loved reading though.

I've seen plenty of people who've done this tag say Harry Potter, but I have to follow them and say the same thing. Like I said above, Harry Potter was the first "favorite book" that I remember having, even though I already loved reading.

Harry Potter managed to take over my life. I started begging my friends to play Harry Potter games at recess. Whenever I was able to choose our game for the day, it was Harry Potter themed in some way. Then I discovered fanfiction, and I went from reading it to writing it, which was the first story I wrote outside of school.

Then there were the fan sites and the fan discussions online. People aren't getting when they say that the Harry Potter fandom is a huge part of the magic. I still love it today, but I was lucky in that my childhood was during the golden years of the Harry Potter fandom. I have so many fond memories of both the books and the fandom that surrounded them. That's never going to change.

(Speaking of Pokemon that are everywhere, I do not need another Rattata, guys. I know they're purple, which is my favorite color, and they're based of rats, which I love. But I have enough at this point.)

I'm going to have to go with Divergent. When it first came out, I kept hearing great things from other people, both in the online book community and in real life. I fully intended to read it, but it was one of those books that I just didn't get around to.

Then the last book came out, and I began hearing negative things about it. Then the movies kept coming out, and the last one didn't do so great. I don't know. People don't seem as enthusiastic about it anymore, or maybe that's just my own skewed perception. All I know is that I'm not as eager to check the series out as I was in the past, but I still might. I'm not sure.

I'm having difficulty coming up with something for this one. Of course, I notice sometimes that books have similarities, but I can't think of one that particularly stands out as being like other books.

Maybe I'll just say Sarah Dessen books in general. Her books are all rather similar to each other. You know that certain elements are always going to be there, and you pretty much know the ending when you start reading. I still find them to be enjoyable, and I'm always excited to pick up another one.

Right now, this is just about every series for me. I've managed to get in the middle of so many series at the moment that one of my goals for this year was to not start anymore until I'd finished quite a few of them. How is that going? Well, I did start one new series, and I have the Infernal Devices trilogy sitting around waiting to be read. (I don't know if that counts as a new series technically though since I have read the Mortal Instruments, so in a way, it also works towards my completing more series goal.)

I have to admit that I'm not typically intimidated by size though, whether it's one book or a series. I just never really think about it, so I'm not sure I'd ever be hesitant to start a series because of how many books are in it. Not unless we're talking about something with like dozens of books.

I've spent all night reading Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games after new releases, but I have to admit that I haven't done something like that since high school. I just don't really stay up all night to read anymore.

When I got to college and had a roommate, I would often stay up later than her, but I was always worried about keeping her awake, so I would usually go to bed quickly after she did. Maybe that broke me out of the habit of late nights.

Actually, I've been having to adjust my sleep schedule recently to prepare myself for the coming school year and student teaching (much earlier nights and mornings), and the whole thing has made me feel like a boring adult. So, there haven't been any late nights for me recently. It's a bit of a shame. I miss it sometimes.

I always have to choose Ron and Hermione for this sort of question. I have a lot of OTPs now, but they were my original, which means they'll always hold a special place in my heart. I think Ron and Hermione also managed to have a huge influence on what I typically love in fictional couples. Whenever I read a book and two characters manage to remind me of Ron and Hermione, I'm probably going to ship them together.

I recently read all four books of the War of Princes series by A.R. Ivanovich and fell in love. Perhaps it was because it was the first time in possibly forever that I had read an entire series so closely back-to-back like that. (Even if an entire series is out, I tend to read them more spaced out because I won't even buy the second book before reading the first.) It's an action-packed fantasy that I absolutely adored.

This is difficult because I'm never sure if my answer would hold true if we did start getting spin offs. I was excited for both Fantastic Beasts and Cursed Child, but now my excitement for both seems to have fizzled out. With Cursed Child, I've actually become scared about whether or not I'll like it, so while in the past I would have always chosen Harry Potter for this, I'm not so sure anymore.

I might say the Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare. I know I'm not the first person who's given that answer for this question, but it's true. She already has a done of spin-offs in the series, and I like that they focus on new characters while giving glimpses of the old. Maybe it's because the spin-offs were already out when I began reading Mortal Instruments, but they feel less high-stakes than the Harry Potter spin-offs do for me, which allows me to enjoy them without worrying.

After following Maureen Johnson on Twitter for years and thinking she was awesome, I finally picked up her Shades of London series, which was the first of her books I'd read. I had high hopes because I enjoyed her tweets so much, but I was also worried.

I'm not a scary story fan. Mostly because I get scared too easily. So putting "Jack the Ripper" in the synopsis wouldn't typically be a good way to pull me in. I doubt I'd ever have picked it up at all if it hadn't been for Maureen's Twitter account.

Wow, am I glad I did pick it up. That series is one of my favorites, and it's the only ghost story that is remotely close to being one of my favorites. I love those books so much, and I'm eagerly waiting for the fourth.

There are a number of them. One would be the Infernal Devices trilogy. I enjoyed the Mortal Instruments, and a lot of people say they enjoy TID even more than TMI, which has me extremely curious.

I could list a number of other series too. My TBR list is intimidatingly long.

I wish I owned all of the Harry Potter editions, not just the collector's editions. I know I'm not alone in desperately wanting the boxed set where the spines form a picture of Hogwarts. Plus, I'd really like the anniversary editions.

Admission: I rarely feel particularly excited for debuts. It's not even that I don't read debuts and enjoy them. I do, and I do feel a certain level of excitement. I just don't get the same level of excitement as I do for authors I've read before. It's hard to pinpoint one debut here because, while I'll often think a debut sounds interesting, I'm not sure I could label myself as "very excited" for them.

I have a number of them. Sarah Dessen is one, and of course, J.K. Rowling. Those are probably the two that were my first auto-buy authors. Sarah Dessen's books were actually the first YA that I ever read.

100% I have to say the next Shades of London book by Maureen Johnson. I read the third book after it came out, so I haven't been waiting since the release. I don't even think it's been that long, but I'm so eager that it feels like it has been. I really can't wait for the next book. It may wind up being the first book in a long time that I stay up all night reading when it comes out.

And that's all the questions. I'm not going to tag anyone specific, but if you want to do this tag, feel free too. Plus, make sure you check out Aentee's original tag post if you haven't already read it.

1 comment: