Saturday, May 7, 2016

I Love the Harry Potter Movies

I spent the last several days thinking about writing a post on which scenes from the Harry Potter books I was most disappointed didn't make it into the movies. Then I realized that I wrote a post five years ago about changes in the Harry Potter movies.

Looking back over that post, I think I would only repeat a lot of what I said there. All of the most important ones I would have pointed out are there. Like Teddy not being mentioned, which was something I was feeling grumpy about just the other day before I started thinking about writing this post. And Peeves is always a big one.

Sometimes I can't help but really, really wish that a certain scene or tidbit of information had made it into the movies. It's hard not to. At the same time, the Harry Potter movies have become an entity of their own that played a huge role in my childhood, and admittedly, that makes it difficult to even criticize them for not including certain things. Because even though they're different, they're something on their own apart from the books.

That doesn't mean I don't criticize them in certain ways. I did, after all, write that original post. But when I think about the movies potentially being different, I don't know if I really want it or not. I guess it doesn't really matter since they won't change. (Although I suppose we could always get remakes in the future that do something different. That will undoubtedly be interesting if it ever happens in my lifetime.)

If there was a choice between the books and the movies, I would choose the books. I always feel a little sad for people who are only fans of the movies and haven't read the books. Still, the movies have their own special place that have led to me appreciating them on their own and not just in comparison to the movies.

But I still wish they could have at least mentioned Teddy...

No comments:

Post a Comment