Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Reign Review: 3x13 "Strange Bedfellows"

Reign keeps flying through different story points much faster than I expect them to. First we didn't get to see Mary at the Vatican. Now Dudley both comes to France and leaves France, no longer betrothed to Mary no less) in the same episode. They're really not drawing much out in the recent episodes, and I'm not sure if I'm okay with it or if I think it's rushed. I'm leaning towards thinking it's rushed.

That being said, there were quite a few aspects of this episode that I loved.

For one thing, we got to see Greer, Leith, and Claude in this episode, and I was painfully reminded how much I still ship Greer/Leith but also how much Claude/Leith has grown on me. After Greer and her sister getting in a fight and her sister seemingly not adopting the baby anymore, I can't help but daydream about Greer and Leith raising the baby together and being a happy family. Almost definitely not what's going to happen, but I can't stop myself from living in that dream world until something else happens on the show.

At the same time, I do quite enjoy Claude and Leith together, which makes the idea of Greer and Leith together almost bittersweet for me. I think that at this point I would be satisfied with either. I just can't deny that Greer/Leith would make me a bit giddier over it. If they do get back together, I hope Claude finds happiness too.

Catherine's quote about spineless men using women to do their dirty work was also brilliant. That moment was one of those where I was instantly reminded of what I love about this show so much. Actually, the current storyline is dealing a lot with women in power and how the men around them are uncomfortable having a woman in charge. I love it. That's always been one of my favorite parts of Reign, and I'm really loving how it has been coming to the forefront, particularly since Francis' death. I don't imagine they'll shift their focus away from that anytime soon, but still, it's worth saying that I hope they don't.

When it comes to the Red Knights, I don't feel like I have any strong feelings yet. I am interested in who they are and why exactly they want to destroy the Valois family. But I don't feel like we've seen enough of that storyline for me to say anything more. It still seems to much of a mystery for me to declare that I find it interesting or uninteresting. It's still one of those "wait and see what they do with it" things.

This feels like a shorter review than normal, but I also feel like I have less thoughts about this episode than I often do. For whatever reason, the episode felt a little less eventful for me this episode than the other recent episodes. Then again, maybe I just got too distracted by Greer and Leith having screen time together that I forgot everything else there is to say. I know I didn't really talk about Gideon, and I suppose I should. He seems to be leaving, and to be honest, I don't feel all that much over it. I like Gideon well enough, but I don't like him enough to feel that upset. Since quite a bit of the episode revolved around that, maybe that's why I feel like so little happened. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment