Sunday, May 1, 2016

Why Do I Feel Like I Never Read Fantasy?

I feel like I'm having a bit of a problem. One that's not a new problem for me, but one that continues to kind of annoy me.

Earlier today (Okay. Technically yesterday because it's now after midnight.) I posted a video where I made one small comment about fantasy being my favorite genre. It is, and I've said that many times in the past. My love for fantasy probably isn't surprising to anyone who knows of my massive love for Harry Potter either.

The problem is, for the last...I don't even know how long, but for a while now, I don't feel like I've been reading much fantasy at all. I have read some. The last book review I posted was for a fantasy book actually, so maybe this isn't the best time to be bringing this up. And about a month earlier I read a complete fantasy series in a short span of time, which felt amazing to do.

The thing is, when I go back to look at Goodreads, I've been reading at least one fantasy book every couple of months, but I don't feel like I've even managed that. For a year or more now this sort of feeling has been bothering me. Technically, I was reading fantasy (even if it was still not that frequent), but I didn't feel like I was at all.

And I think I finally figured out why I feel like that. That fantasy series that I read completely through really quickly, called the War of Princes series (which I highly recommend), was the first fantasy series (and fantasy books always seem to be series) that I'd finished (not counting my Harry Potter re-read) in more than a year.

That's the problem. By and large, those fantasy books I'm reading are the first books in series, and I have yet to finish any of those series. So, I am reading fantasy, but I'm not actually finishing the fantasy stories.

I was determined going into this year that I would finish at least some of the series I was in the middle of, and I haven't been that great at that. I think I've only finished one (if we don't count the War of Princes series that I managed to start and finish).

Who knows how many series I'll wind up finishing by the end of this year, but I can say that this realization has made me even more determined. After all, one of my favorite fantasy series has had two new books (the last in the series) come out since I last read one in that series, and I read this one fantasy book a couple of years ago that still stands out in my mind as one of the greatest things I've read. I have yet to pick up the second book.

Clearly, something needs to happen, so I'm making it a priority over this summer especially to at least make progress in some series that I've started. If I tell myself that and not that I have to finish them, then maybe something will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment