Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Draco's Relationship with the Golden Trio in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


For all of Cursed Child's faults, there were some aspects of its story that leave room for interesting discussions. Not necessarily in a "this was so great!" way, but interesting discussion nonetheless.

One of those, for me, is Draco's relationship with Harry, Ron, Hermione, and also Ginny throughout the play.

Many Harry Potter fans spent years hoping that Draco would be friends with the Golden Trio by the end of the series (or at least be on his way there), and I know many were disappointed when he wasn't. I wasn't one of the fans waiting for such a thing to happen. To be honest, I never much cared about Draco's fate since I disliked him, and I think it's only now that I'm older that I've begun to understand why the idea was appealing to others. Though I still can't say it's appealing to me. I feel satisfied with the way Draco's story ended in the seventh book.

As I wasn't one of those fans, I do wonder how those fans felt when they read Cursed Child. What they had wanted from the books more or less happened (although quite possibly on a smaller scale than they had hoped for), but it happened in Cursed Child, which...Well, it isn't the Harry Potter series is where I'll leave that thought.

Personally, I found Draco's story within Cursed Child interesting, and I cared about it far more than I remember ever caring about his story in the Harry Potter series. I'd really like to know what sort of communication Harry and Ginny had with Draco (and Astoria before she died) in the years prior to Cursed Child. Their sons were best friends, but I can't figure out if Scorpius and Albus visiting each other's houses during breaks was a thing. Can you imagine Harry sending his son off to spend a week with the Malfoys? It would be strange for everyone involved, and seeing such a thing would no doubt be interesting.

Such a thing wouldn't necessarily mean Draco and Harry had to directly communicate though. They could have done it entirely through their sons, which is what I would assume was happening based on the play. Why go through the trouble of all the awkwardness when you can just tell your son to pass on a message? It's what I would do in their positions, not going to lie.

Cursed Child also raises some interesting questions about Draco as a husband and as a father for me, and I'm exploring each of those to a certain extent in the Harry Potter fanfiction that Cursed Child has inspired me to write. What I'm not really exploring in that fanfiction is Draco's relationship with the other characters, which is probably why I've ended up writing this post.

I kind of liked Draco's relationship with the others in this story. I never thought I'd say that, but I do. It didn't come across as that cheesy to me like so many other parts of Cursed Child did (which is impressive considering the redemption of such characters can often seem unrealistic to me), and the way Draco was portrayed in the play did make it feel like it had been a long time coming. I do, however, wish that the play had explored how Draco's own feelings had changed over time. I get that it wasn't Draco's story, and since this was a play, it would have been even more difficult to get such internal feelings across without adding a lot of time onto the play. Still, I kind of wish for it.

Cursed Child kind of made me want a Draco story about falling in love with Astoria and how his perceptions changed after the war. I think it could be quite compelling based on Cursed Child, and that's not something I would have said prior to reading the play. So I guess that's one thing I can think Cursed Child for along with Scorpius Malfoy's existence.

This is turning into something more than a post about Draco's relationship with the Golden Trio. Ultimately, I think, Cursed Child made me care more about Draco Malfoy than I ever had in the past. I'm not sure what that means about my feelings for him within the actual Harry Potter books, but I'm having a fun time exploring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment