Thursday, January 17, 2013

Adjusting to Dorm Life

When I really think about it, it's kind of weird how comfortable I've gotten living in a dorm.  I still prefer my room at home, but it's really not that bad once you get used to it.

At first the whole idea of the dorms terrified me.  Being stuck in a somewhat small room with a stranger was scary.  Now though I've gotten really used to being stuck in here with my roommate.  I still would prefer not to have a roommate overall (not my roommate's fault, I'm just an introvert), but I've adjusted to it.

I also used to want the door to the room shut all the time because I felt weird about people walking by (social anxiety does that to you).  Now I keep it open almost all the time.  I really only have it shut at night.  Our room is right across from one of the exits, so a lot of people walk by our room when leaving our hall.  At first it made me nervous.  Now I could care less.  And if someone says hi when they walk by, I no longer panic.  It's kind of great.

I'm still not a fan of the small space and public bathroom and showers, but I've adjusted.  I don't know if I ever actually expected myself to get this comfortable here.  I hoped I would, but I don't know if I actually believed it.  I was getting pretty down on myself right before Christmas break because of certain things, and I just pushed them to the side over break without thinking about them, but in my first several days back I'm really starting to feel better about the things I was down about before.  And I think the realization of how much more comfortable I am living on campus than I was in August is a big contributing factor to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment