Friday, October 28, 2022

Andor 1x08 "Narkina 5" Review

This episode of Andor has to be my favorite yet, but it also wasn't what I was expecting at all.

I don't know why I was convinced there was going to be a time skip after the last episode, but I was. Something about how things ended left me feeling like we wouldn't be seeing any of the characters again for a few years, but it turns out that wasn't the case. Things pick up right where they left off, and I'm happy about that because I found this episode very interesting.

Cassian is sent to Narkina 5 for his sentence. It's a factory where they have to work twelve hour shifts. What struck me most about the setting wasn't the factory floor but their cells. They don't have any doors, but during the night, the floor will get "hot" and kills anyone who steps foot on it. It's far more gruesome than have doors, and even on Cassian's first night someone dies. 

Meanwhile, Syril gets questioned by Dedra, who's zeroing in on Cassian. He begs her to help, but she sends him back to the Bureau of Standards. Despite that, I don't think it will be the last we see of him.

We learn a bit of backstory about Mon Mothma and her husband. It turns out that they got married as teenagers, which is the custom on the planet they're from. It does explain a lot about how they're together despite being so different, and I'm thankful for that explanation because it's been bothering me since we met her husband.

Back on Ferrix, Bix is taking care of Maarva, who's fallen and is ill. I was hoping that Cassian and Maarva would be reunited, so now I'm worried that she'll die before he sees her again.

Vel and Cinta are also on Ferrix, and we get some tidbits about their backstory. In particular, we learn that Vel comes from a rich family, which does seem to fit her characterization so far. I actually wonder if she and Luthen are related in some way or, at the very least, knew each other socially somehow. 

This episode also made me curious about Vel and Cinta's relationship. Cinta mentions that she's a mirror for Vel, and she says it in a way that is very accusing. Vel has seemed almost obsessive about what Cinta is doing at certain points, but that is potentially explained by the high stakes situations they've been in. Now I wonder if it's more. This episode seemed to imply that Vel likes Cinta more than Cinta likes Vel, so I guess we'll see how that plays out.

Luthen goes to see Saw Gerrera, which is a nice surprise. Luthen is trying to convince him to join forces with similar groups around a joint cause. During this conversation, Saw makes a comment about never really know who Luthen is, and this reinforces my distrust for him. 

I go back and forth on Luthen a lot. His indentions seem genuine sometimes, but other times, it feels like he's hiding something. There are some indirections between Luthen and Kleya where I can't tell which of them is actually in charge.

There's a lot happening and a lot of characters we're following. Thinking back on the episode really makes me realize how little we actually get of certain characters during the episode. I'm curious to see how their stories intertwine more in the coming episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment