Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sleep Deprived Car Rides and College Visits

Waking up at three a.m. is never fun.  It's even less fun when it's followed by a day of being in the car.  With your younger sister.  Do I need to say anything else about my day today?

My mom, sister, and I drove about four hours today to get up to Indianapolis to visit Marian University.  It was a long car ride that took place mostly in the dark.  I'd hoped to sleep the whole way through, but instead I only managed about an hour of sleep while in the car.  The rest of the time was spent attempting to sleep or trying to find things to do that didn't involve light (which unfortunately meant no reading).  In my sleep deprived mind, I somehow began thinking about the Declaration of Independence at one point and how beautifully it's written.  So, what did I do?  I looked the Declaration of Independence up on my phone and read all of it at about four in the morning.  Fun times.

The actual college visit was very interesting.  I hadn't been very interested in going to Marian before today, but it seems like a really great school.  I'll definitely be applying, and it's up higher on my list of schools I'd like to attend now.  The only bad thing it really has going for it is it's location.  Indianapolis is great, don't get me wrong, but I've really been hoping to go to college out-of-state.  Other than that, it really does seem like it'd be a good school for me.  Their education program seems really good.  I just can't get over the whole in-state thing.  I really want to try living in a different area of the country.  Choosing a college is so difficult!  I'm having the hardest time deciding what my top choice is.

My sister wanted to stop at this outlet mall on the way home.  My mom and I were both extremely tired and stayed in the car while she shopped a couple of hours.  After attempting to do homework (which didn't go too well because of sleep deprivation), I decided it would be a good time to take a nap.  I think I was asleep about ten minutes before my sister woke me up when she was putting bags in the car.

Eventually, we started driving again, but it took us way longer to get home then it should have.  This was primarily because we had a bit of trouble getting out of Louisville.  Technically, we weren't supposed to be in Louisville in the first place.  We were supposed to go around it.  I'm not entirely sure what happened because I was in the back seat half asleep.  The sad thing is I was attempting to pay attention to what was happening the whole time; I just can't remember any of it.

We finally made it home, and I haven't done much since.  I would have loved to take a nap, but I figured it was too late for that by that point.  I'm amazed I haven't already fallen asleep.  I was actually feeling more awake until I started typing this post.  Now I can barely keep my eyes open.  I don't think I'm going to make it much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment