Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sorting: Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff?

For years I avoided sorting myself into a Hogwarts house.  I'm not sure why.  I saw everyone else in the fandom doing it, but I just never did.  I don't know if it was because I was unsure about which house I belonged in or another reason.  I know I dreamed of being a Gryffindor when I was really young, but I grew out of that as I got older.  (Brave isn't exactly the best word to describe me.)  Still, I avoided actually putting myself in a house.

At some point I began taking sorting quizzes whenever I happened to stumble upon them.  I was always sorted into either Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw.  In fact, it was always pretty evenly split between those two houses.  I can't remember being sorted into Slytherin or Gryffindor even once.  (Except the WBsorting quiz that put me into Gryffindor, but anyone who's taken that quiz knows it's definitely not accurate.)  This made me realize something that would have been obvious anyway if I'd thought about it:  I was definitely either a Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, but I began becoming extremely conflicted over which house I really was.

Eventually, I decided I was a Hufflepuff.  This wasn't a simple decision though, and it took years for me to actually say I was a Hufflepuff without second guessing myself.  The main reason I decided this was because one of the Hufflepuff traits is loyalty.  After an experience in eighth grade, loyalty became one of (most likely the number one) trait I value most in a person.  I always try to be loyal, and I can't be good friends with a person unless I believe they'll be loyal to me.  For this reason, I believe it was at some point during freshmen year that I firmly decided I was a Hufflepuff.

That was about three years ago, and over those three years there were numerous times where I'd sometimes still second guess my decision.  Everytime I asked someone I knew what house they believed I was, they'd answer Ravenclaw.  Always.  Because of this, there was always that underlying doubt.  I knew it was incredibly possible that I was a Ravenclaw.  I love learning, and you'll almost never find me without a book in my hands.  (Although I'm sad to admit that I've found myself without a book more and more recently.)  I stuck with Hufflepuff though, and I became a very proud Hufflepuff.

When we began learning about Pottermore, and we found out that we would be sorted, I was excited but also really nervous.  This sorting quiz would be created by J.K. Rowling.  If there was one person who could come up with an accurate sorting quiz, it would be the person who created the houses.  I was so scared that I would be sorted into a house other than Hufflpuff, and although I didn't want to admit it, I knew that chances were high that I would be made a Ravenclaw.

If you've watched my sorting video, you know that I was in fact sorted into Ravenclaw.  While this wasn't really a surprise, you can tell I'm not jumping for joy in the video.  It was slightly disappointing honestly.  There's nothing wrong with Ravenclaw, and I'm really proud to be a Ravenclaw.  Still, there's a large part of me that feels a really strong connection to Hufflepuff.  I completely understand why Pottermore sorted me into Ravenclaw, and I've almost come to terms with the fact that I really am a Ravenclaw.  Yet I don't think I'll ever come to a point where I'm completely satisfied with that.  There's always going to be a part of me that's going to be conflicted between the two houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment