Monday, May 9, 2022

Heartstopper 1x07 "Bully" Review

I'm here with my review of episode seven after finishing my fifth watch of the series last night.

Charlie goes with Nick and his friends to the movies in this episode, which put me on edge the first time I watched the episode because I knew that something was going to happen. I do enjoy the scenes of Charlie's dad dropping him off though. This time in particular he makes sure to let Charlie know to call him if something goes wrong, and I really appreciate seeing that, even if (as a teenager) Charlie's unlikely to actually do it. I also love that he says, "Nick's going to be there. I'll be fine." It's a small moment but shows that he feels safe with Nick, which I just really love.

Nick does stand up for Charlie in this episode too. After earlier episodes where he stayed quiet while Harry was saying stuff, it as nice to see him push back. (I know he did in the party episode too though.) While fighting is never the answer of course, I can't deny that the fight scene felt satisfying.

The scene where Charlie arrives at school and discovers that Nick fought Harry is also one of my favorites.

Ben continues to be unnerving every time he shows up too. I got chills when he confronted Charlie in the parking lot, and I'm so thankful for Charlie's dad showing up when he did because I'd hate to think about what would have happened if he hadn't.

I'm still a bit iffy on the actual timeline. While Tao and Elle are talking in this episode, they reference the milkshake date having been "ages ago."  I know it goes from being the first day of the term to sometime in the spring/early summer, but I honestly have no idea when each individual episode is meant to have taken place. I think because of the shorter amount of episodes, I have to remind myself that Charlie and Nick have known each other for longer than it sometimes feels like when watching the episodes.

Charlie wanting to break up with Nick because he thinks me makes everyone's life worse absolutely broke my heart, and the look on Nick's face while they're talking in the cafeteria made it even worse.

Like I mentioned when talking about episode six, I really feel for Tao. I completely understand where his feelings come from, and his fight with Harry and then yelling at Charlie were both sad to watch as well.

This episode definitely left me on the edge of my seat for the next one the first time I watched it.

No comments:

Post a Comment