Monday, May 16, 2022

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 1x02 "Children of the Comet" Review

While I can't say this for sure when we're only two episodes into the season, it seems like Strange New Worlds is doing a deeper dive into each crew member each week. At least for now. I really like that since it's a good opportunity for us viewers to get to knew each of them more, and I'm incredibly interested in what we'll learn.

Ortegas plays a joke on Uhura because she's new to the ship. She convinces her to wear her dress uniform to a dinner that Pike is hosting when everyone else is more casual. I really felt for Uhura there because something like that would absolutely mortify me. I cringed through that part a lot as well as other moments during the dinner and later on in the episode where Uhura clearly felt worried about making a good impression. I felt for her a lot in this episode, and I think she may be one of my favorite characters now, which is one reason I'm glad that we seem to be getting to know each crew member better over time.

The comet that Enterprise has been monitoring is on track to his a planet that has pre-warp technology and can't defend itself. But when they try to redirect the comet, they realize that it has a force field. This leads to the discovery of a structure on the surface, yet they can't find any signs of life on the comet.

Sam makes a reference to Yahtzee and then tries to explain what it is to Spock, which prompts Spock to reply that he's familiar with the game. I don't know why but the idea of Spock being familiar with Yahtzee actually made me laugh.

A group is sent on a mission to the surface of the comet. Down there, they find markings that may be a language, and Uhura is the one tasked with figuring out what they mean. As I mentioned before, I really felt for her during this episode because that's a lot to deal with on your first ever away mission when you still felt a little out of place amongst the crew.

Spock attempts to give Uhura a pep talk later, and while the pep talk itself is kind of funny, I enjoyed seeing them bond a bit more.

They discover that a group of people are guarding the comet, which they have a religious view of. While we get some answers about this in the episode, the episode also raises so many questions that I'm still curious about. They claim that the comet's destiny is preordained, and later on, we discover that this seems to be true. Or, at least, the comet knows the future. What it's guardians didn't seem to know is that Enterprise intercepting the comet was part of what was supposed to happen.

Uhura figures out that the code is music. I'm still not entirely clear about how the communication works other than that it seems to be effected by the mood of the music. I also wonder why they needed to communicate at all when the comet seems to have known what needed to happen anyway. I don't think communicating with the comet ultimately changed what the Enterprise would have done anyway. But there we go I guess.

In the end, the comet does miss the planet, and it ends up altering the atmosphere of the planet in a way that might help civilization develop. That and the fact that it knew its future raises a lot of questions that aren't answered and probably never will be, yet I'm incredibly curious about them. It's hard to imagine that being explained away by science. Thinking about it now, just the fact that the comet can communicate and has knowledge means that it seems sentient in some way, which raises even more questions than I realized that I had before.

Since I suspect that Strange New Worlds is going to be pretty episodic, I don't expect us to get answers to those questions, which is a shame. Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what next episode is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment