Monday, May 30, 2022

Obi-Wan Kenobi Part 1 Review

The Obi-Wan Kenobi series is finally here! It feels like we've been waiting for it for a million years. I was excited to finally watch it. 

Even though the first two episodes were released at the same time, this post is only going to be about Part 1. I'm writing this before I watched Part 2 as well, so I don't know what happens in it quite yet.

Before we get to the episode, there's a fairly long recap of the prequels, which made me laugh a little. I'm not sure that anyone who's choosing to watch the Obi-Wan series would really need the recap, and if you haven't watched the prequels, it absolutely spoils all three movies. But it was a nice trip down memory lane.

Once we actually get into the episode, we're quickly introduced to a group of inquisitors who are hunting down Jedi. They've arrived on Tatooine, and while at first I thought they were directly looking for Obi-Wan, it turns out that a different Jedi has caught their attention.

One of them, Reva, is fixated on finding Obi-Wan though, even though her superior chastises her for it. I already knew from information released before the show that Reva would play a significant role, and it's clear right away that she's going to be the biggest antagonist facing Obi-Wan.

It's only after meeting the inquisitors that we get our first look at Obi-Wan. He's working at a job that seems to be cutting some kind of meat. It's certainly an interesting place, especially considering all the workers leave while just leaving the meat behind sitting out. That...doesn't look good, but maybe this is special meat that doesn't spoil even when left sitting out on a hot desert planet? 

Is that what I was meant to take away most from that scene? Probably not, but it's what I got.

One bright spot of the episode is Obi-Wan's eobie. I don't know how likely it is that we'll see it again considering he leaves Tatooine within the first episode, but I sure hope that eobie makes it through the series alive.

We get some glimpses of Luke from afar but not all that much. After Obi-Wan leaves a toy for Luke, Owen brings it back to him and demands that Luke be left alone, a sentiment that makes complete sense and is unsurprising considering the original movies. Despite Owen's general distaste for Obi-Wan, he does deny knowing any Jedi when Reva questions him even when they threaten to kill his whole family. I do wonder if that threat is going to come into play later in the season if Reva catches on that Owen did, in fact, know about Obi-Wan.

As it turns out, the inquisitors were looking for another Jedi on Tatooine, not Obi-Wan, but that Jedi was looking for Obi-Wan and eventually finds him. It hurt to hear Obi-Wan tell the Jedi to bury his lightsaber, which we know that Obi-Wan did himself. It's clear that Obi-Wan feels quit defeated for obvious reasons, and he doesn't want to help when Bail comes to him for help.

Which brings us to Leia. We get to see a lot more of her than Luke in this episode, which has me excited. We've gotten quite a bit of Luke in the Star Wars TV series so far, and I'm excited to get a look at Leia's childhood. She's such a cute kid! I particularly loved the little droid she carried around, and my heart broke for her when her kidnapper destroyed it. I can only imagine how hard that would be for her, especially at that age.

I love Leia as a character so far! She's such a colorful character right from the moment we meet her, and I definitely feel like she's doing Leia from the original movies justice. I'm not sure how much we'll see of her throughout the remaining episodes, but I'm excited for it.

Oh, and another great thing about getting to see Leia is that we also get a quick peak at C-3PO!

Unsurprisingly, Obi-Wan does decide to go after Leia in the end. We see him dig up both his and Anakin's lightsabers in one of the more emotional scenes of the episode. We also find out that Reva is working with the kidnappers and is specifically looking for Obi-Wan, which makes complete sense yet somehow isn't what I expected until it was revealed.

I'm extremely excited to see where the story goes from this point on.

No comments:

Post a Comment