Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Heartstopper 1x08 "Boyfriend" Review

I'm actually sad that this is my last Heartstopper review to write. I'm so obsessed with this show that it's taken over my life.

At the start of the episode, Tao is still mad at Charlie, which I completely understand. While I also completely understand why Charlie didn't tell him, I get why Tao is upset. What's actually more frustrating is Charlie attempting to break up with Nick and avoiding him instead of talking about what's bothering him. Even though that also makes complete sense for Charlie's character.

There are a lot of great moments in this episode, but one of the "smaller" ones that I love is Nick sitting down with Tao at lunch. Yes, he was looking for Charlie, but I really like the fact that he still sat down with Tao and talked to him when he realized that Charlie wasn't there. It was good for them to actually talk, and I think it does a good job of showing that there is actually potential for friendship between them.

Also, Nick telling Tao that he should try rugby makes me laugh every time.

I have some questions about the Sports Day outfits. Namely, why do the girls seem to be in skirts to play sports? I'm guessing they're actually skorts or something, but... Why aren't they just in shorts?

Charlie finally tells Ben off, and I loved it!

The end of this episode is without a doubt the cutest part of the whole show, which is saying something considering how cute the entire thing is. While Nick just walking off the field during the rugby match was wonderful, I am glad that he led Charlie into the school instead of just kissing him in front of everyone. The conversation that they had was way more satisfying than a sudden kiss where they didn't actually deal with what was happening would have been.

And then we get the absolutely adorable date at the beach! It's hard to even pick a favorite part of the beach date, but I love the parallel of Charlie asking Nick if they're boyfriends with the earlier (heart breaking) moment with Ben.

Nick coming out to his mom was also adorable and a very heart warming scene that's another one of my favorites. I should really just say that this whole episode is my favorite now because it is. We get another reference to the timeline that I'm still not clear on though. I do get that the episode starts at the beginning of term and this episode seems to be close to the end of term, but everything in between feels pretty blurry.

I'm so happy that this show exists. I'm going to go rewatch it for the millionth time.

No comments:

Post a Comment