Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Heartstopper 1x05 "Friend" Review

 As of writing this review, I've watched the whole season three times, and I'm doing my best to focus on other things I have to do instead of just starting the show for a fourth time. I've also convinced my sister to start watching it, so I'm feeling pretty accomplished.

I love that Charlie and his friends play Monopoly in this episode. As a kid, I played a lot of Monopoly with my sister and grandma, so the argument about cheating at Monopoly was particularly funny to me. We had a lot of similar arguments when I was growing up.

Imogen's dog dying on the day Nick wanted to talk to her about the date is cliché, but also funny, especially when Nick talks to his mom about it later. I'm not even bothered by it being a little bit of an overdone trope.

While Tao does overreact at certain points in the story, I appreciate that his reactions are always believable. I completely get why he feels the way he does about Charlie getting involved with Nick. His worries about Nick's date with Imogen in particular is something that I'm sympathetic too, and I get why he wanted to tell Charlie about it.

Props to Nick for coming clean about Imogen and making things right too. While he shouldn't have said yes, I'm sympathetic towards the pressure he felt in that scene, and I loved seeing him be honest about it with Charlie. The gift he gives Charlie is also adorable!

Speaking of adorableness, there were some great moments between Tao and Elle in the arcade in this episode. I loved it!

Nick keeps his word about telling Imogen that he isn't interested, and I'm surprised at how open he is with her in the park. She also impressed me by handling it the way she did and not telling all their friends the full story. I'm curious about where her character development could take her in the future, especially since she's a character unique to the TV show and who's not in the comics.

I'm not sure if I like her per se, but I do think I could potentially like Imogen if we ever learn more about her and she grows as a character. If we get a season two and don't get much of her, I also wouldn't be too disappointed though.

No comments:

Post a Comment