Friday, July 22, 2011

Belle: My Favorite Disney Princess

I've mentioned in multiple Disney posts that my favorite Disney princess is Belle.  I think it's time that she finally has a post dedicated completely to her.

I've loved Beauty and the Beast since I was a little kid, and I think one of the reasons was that I found Belle more relatable than any of the other Disney princesses.  Why?  She loves to read.  I'm sure that wasn't the only reason I liked her, but I'm positive that it was a big factor.  I've basically been a bookworm since I was born, so I always love characters that enjoy reading.

In addition to that, I love that Belle isn't the typical damsel-in-distress.  She stands her ground with the Beast and Gaston.  Of course, I didn't think much about this when I was younger, but I do think I realized it in the back of my mind.

I've always loved romance books and movies as well, and the Beast and Belle are my favorite Disney couple.  I don't really have a definite reason for this.  I do know that I typically like couples that start out arguing and then fall in love with each other (I have no idea why), so the fact that they don't really like each other at first may have something to do with it.

As a side note, I've often wandered if my love for Beauty and the Beast had something to do with my obsession with werewolves later on.  The Beast himself isn't a werewolf, but he's kind of similar.  I just can't help but wonder.

Anyway, my two main reasons for loving Belle so much is that she loves reading and she stands up for herself.  There are several Disney princesses that could fit the second one, but I can't think of any that have shown a love for reading.  I've realized over the years that if there's a character that loves to read, they'll probably become my favorite character of the book, movie, TV show, etc.  I guess it provides something that allows me to relate to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment