Monday, March 21, 2022

Star Trek: Discovery 4x13 "Coming Home" Review

It's time for the season finale! I was so excited to see how this season would wrap up, and I don't feel disappointed in the slightest.

Right away, we get to see Tilly! I knew she was going to make another appearance this season, and since this was the finale, it was inevitable that she'd be in this episode. But it was exciting nonetheless. She's helping Earth evacuate, which I love. Since she's not with Discovery, it's great seeing her still play a significant role in what's happening.

T'Rina tries to link with the Ten-C telepathically despite doing so with an unknown species being dangerous. It does hurt her, but they learn that the Ten-C think of each other as one unit instead of individuals. Even after finishing the episode, I'm not entirely clear on what exactly the Ten-C are or how they're connected. We see them, but I have a lot of questions about what exactly we were seeing and how they operate.

Discovery is still stuck in the sphere, and they make the decision to use the spore drive to get them out even though it means destroying it and a decades-long journey back home. I had a feeling they wouldn't actually have to take a decade, but it was still a great way to add tension in an already tension-filled episode.

Meanwhile, on Book's ship, Book and Reno are trying to break free and overpower Tarka. They manage to do it, but it turns out that not even Tarka can stop the system. Book sends Reno back to Discovery, and tells Michael that he loves her in an emotional scene. I'm still very happy that Reno got to play an important role at the end of the season.

Ndoye tries to make things right by potentially sacrificing herself to stop the DMA.

When the evacuation of Earth is ceased, Tilly chooses to stay with the admiral. They talk about their lives, and Tilly talks about being happy with her life. It really was so great to see her again, and I really hope this isn't the last time. This episode made me desperately want her to come back to Discovery all over again.

Eventually, Tarka does relent and ends up breaking down as he seems to realize that he's been in the wrong. I still don't feel much sympathy for him, and I suppose the show itself doesn't either as he's the only character who actually winds up dead by the end of the episode. And I'm fine with that.

After Ndoye successfully stops Tarka's ship, they have a breakthrough with the Ten-C as well where the Ten-C finally realize that their indviduals and not one. This breakthrough actually seems to happen rather quickly if the entire concept of individuals was unknown to the Ten-C before their encounter with the Federation. It seems like it would take longer for you to get a concept that was entirely unknown to your entire species before that, but sure, I can go with it.

When everyone else goes down to Ten-C's planet to see them, Culber stays with Stamets and Adira on Discovery, saying that he wants to be with his family. It was a pretty simple moment, but I absolutely loved it.

In the end, communication with the Ten-C is successful. At first, they just want to move the DMA, but Book is adamant about them stopping using it all together. They agree though they're worried about being vulnerable. I really loved this whole scene, and I'm curious if the Ten-C will continue to talk to the Federation or not.

They also use the DMA to create a wormhole that allows Discovery to travel back without it taking decades, which (again) wasn't surprising. I am curious about what will happen now that Discovery no longer has a spore drive though, and I'm going to hazard a guess that it connects to that short that included Zora.

At the end of the episode, once Discovery is back at Earth, Tilly is reunited with the crew, and this was the part of the episode where I cried. I was completely fine until then, but I just broke when Tilly and Michael saw each other.

We get a bit of a summary about things happening at the end of the episode. Culber and Stamets are going on a vacation to Puerto Rico, which was a cute scene. Ni'Var and Earth both rejoin the Federation, which is awesome. We even get a cameo from Stacey Abrams playing United Earth's president. That was fun, though I must admit that her acting felt a little stiff. Still, it's exciting to know Earth is in the Federation again.

In some ways, this ending felt like an ending to the series, but Discovery has (thankfully) been renewed for a fifth season. I'm curious what will happen next. I'm expecting it to continue to link the series to that short that was released that plagues my thoughts now, and I definitely expect them to address what will happen now that the spore drive was destroyed. I'll be anxiously waiting to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment