Monday, March 7, 2022

Star Trek: Discovery 4x11 "Rosetta" Review

By the start of this episode, Discovery has gotten closer to communicating with Species Ten-C, but they still have to get inside the hyperfield that the species has built around themselves. In the meantime, they're near a former gas giant that they believe is the species' home planet, and they make the decision to go down to investigate and hopefully find something that will help them communicate with Ten-C once they meet them.

While Discovery tries to find something on the planet, Book and Tarka make plans to hitch a ride on Discovery to make it through the hyperfield, which includes them going on Discovery themselves to execute their plan. It's actually kind of creepy how easy it apparently is for people to sneak onto the ship. I know Book knows the ship well and Tark is a genius, but that still raises a few security issues...

While on Discovery, Book and Tarka overhear General Ndoye talking to President T'Rina and learn that she's frustrated with the plan of going down to the planet instead of immediately talking to Ten-C. Book convinces Tarka to bring her in on the plan, which they do, but she insists that it be a back up plan only. Book agrees to that, but I have this sneaking suspicion that Tarka won't and will jump in and ruin things again.

Honestly, I'm frustrated that Book still trusts him at all after everything that's happened. It doesn't sit well with me.

While they're doing that, the crew on the surface of the planet finds some bones that have me extremely curious what this species is going to look like, and they also start hallucinating. It turns out that they've found Ten-C's pheromones (essentially), and those pheromones convey what their emotions were even after a long time has passed. It's...interesting. Honestly, it feels a little weird, but okay. Michael refers to it as their Rosetta Stone, which I figured was coming when I saw that the episode was titled "Rosetta."

While they're on the planet, Detmer makes a reference to having attended PTSD therapy, which I greatly appreciate after her mental health storyline seemed to have just been dropped for a long time.

Adira also admits to admiring Detmer in this episode, which was cute. It reminded me of when Stamets mentioned Adira looking up to Tilly earlier in the season, but of course, Tilly's not currently on Discovery (and I miss her). I guess it makes sense that Adira would find someone else to look up to since they're young compared to the rest of the crew.

On an exciting note, Reno's in this episode! It feels like ages since we've seen her, so I was happy to have her pop up. I enjoyed her interactions with Adira and how she gave them advice as well. Plus, Tarka takes her captive, so I'm hoping that means she's in the next episode as well.

Towards the end of the episode, they theorize that Ten-C built the hyperfield to protect themselves after their planet was destroyed, and yeah, that makes sense. I'm very curious to meet these people at this point, so I really hope that we do actually get to see them in the next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment