Monday, March 7, 2022

How I Met Your Father 1x08 "The Perfect Shot" Review

This episode continues the trend of name dropping as many celebrities as it can within an episode. I'm pretty tired of it, especially when it comes to any scene involving Valentina's job. Did How I Met Your Mother name drop this often? I know it did sometimes, and it's possible it was this bad and I just don't remember it. But this feels really excessive, and boy, is it probably going to date the show in just a few years.

We meet Meredith in this episode. Technically, we've seen her before in the infamous video of Jesse proposing, but now we actually get to know her a bit. Sid obviously has a negative opinion of her, and I can see his point of view from how she's portrayed in this episode, but I could also see her becoming more sympathetic if we were given more time with her. As someone who strongly believes public proposals are a bad idea unless the person you're proposing to has said they're okay with it, I completely understand her feeling like she was put on the spot and saying no. And I do think it was Jesse's fault for doing that as a surprise. I actually hope that's dealt with more in the future, and it doesn't just continue to be portrayed as if we should be sympathetic for Jesse.

Anyway, it turns out that Meredith has gotten a record deal, and her single is going to be about Jesse. Jesse doesn't actually learn that in this episode, but I'm guessing he will. We also don't know what the song is like yet, but I have a feeling that is going to play a role in a future episode, and I'm curious about what direction that will go in. I'm hoping maybe it'll take a step towards making Meredith less of a villain, since she'll be expressing her own feelings in the song.

This episode also expands on comments Valentina made last time about her hating her job. It turns out that her job is even worse than what I imagined. Her boss has a doll, so he can insult her while claiming he's not actually doing so. It's crazy to believe that Valentina was putting up with this at work without venting to Sophie about it at all. That had to have been hard to take, and I hope something happens where she's able to get a new job or, at the very least, things change with her current one.

Throughout the episode, Sophie is struggling to find the perfect picture to send to the woman from last time. Her and Jesse both talk about being struggling artists, and Sophie gets worried that she'll never make it. Jesse encourages her, but later in the episode, she and Drew fight about it. I like that this potential end to their relationship relates back to the initial conflict of Drew being more "put together" than Sophie. Sophie being an artist doesn't mean she's immature or less put together, but Drew's belief that her dream isn't serious does make sense with the way he seems more serious about life. It feels like a very natural end to the relationship, though I was honestly expecting them to stay together a bit longer than that.

All Sophie says is that they had a fight, but I'm assuming they broke up considering she kisses Jesse at the end of the episode. Either that or they're going to break up pretty soon.

If I remember correctly, Sophie just told her son an episode or two ago that we had a long way to go before she got with his dad, so the fact Jesse and Sophie have already kissed really makes me think he's not the dad. (I'm extremely suspicious of Sid at this point to be honest.) This episode was the first one that made me feel even a little invested in them potentially though, as I liked the way they bonded over being artists. I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment