Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Star Trek: Discovery 4x10 "The Galactic Barrier" Review

This episode starts with a meeting about what to do next. They've made first contact, but they still don't have a way to directly communicate with the unknown species.

We learn early on that Bryce isn't going on the mission with them. I'm not sure if that means we'll be seeing less of him in the future, too, or if this is just for this episode. It feels like more and more of the crew are leaving, and while I do get it, that's sad. Supposedly, we are going to see Tilly again (and Saru didn't leave for as long as I thought he would), but it's still sad to potentially lose some of the cast.

On the bright side, Adira is back after also leaving for a bit! I missed them, and they have an absolutely adorable scene with Stamets in this episode that I loved.

T'Rina ends up coming along on the mission, and we get more development on her and Saru's relationship. I'm still pretty neutral about this. I don't have many feelings about them one way or another. I keep hoping that I'll become more enthusiastic about it, but that hasn't happened yet.

This episode gives us a long look at Tarka's backstory. I appreciate getting to see it as I half expected that the whole story he'd fed Book was a lie, but I don't feel any more sympathetic towards him than I did before. I get that he was friends with the guy and wants to reach him again, but that part of the episode wasn't emotionally powerful enough for me to sympathize with how desperate Tarka is.

Right before Discovery leaves the galactic barrier, they get a message that the DMA is in the path of Earth and Ni'Var. It's bad news, and honestly, I hadn't seen that coming, though in hindsight it seems like an obvious move on the writers' part. I feel pretty confident that they'll save the day before the planets are destroyed, but I am excited for the tension it'll create.

Overall, I enjoyed this episode. Immediately after watching it, I went searching for fan theories about what happens next. I don't do that often with Discovery, but I was curious about what everyone is thinking. I'm not going to go into detail about what I read, but it did make me feel even more curious about the coming episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment