Thursday, March 17, 2022

How I Met Your Mother 1x10 "Timing is Everything" Review

This week's episode of How I Met Your Father is also the season finale, which I didn't realize. It's still strange to me when shows have that short of seasons, particularly a sitcom where the episodes themselves are also short. But this being the finale made me even more curious about what would happen.

We start off the episode with the captain and his divorce again. Thanks to the internet, I now remember that the captain was actually in How I Met Your Mother. I highly doubt I would have realized that if other people hadn't pointed it out. That at least gave me a bit more context about why he had shown up out of nowhere before I started this episode, but I'll save talking about him more until the end of this review, since that's when the dots are finally connected in the episode too.

Jesse does show up, which I'm thankful for just from the standpoint of him not being a total jerk. Thankfully, he did reject Meredith, so he wasn't just showing up to reject Sophie either. For a while, it seemed like things were going well and that the two of them would end the season as a couple. That didn't happen, but I want to talk about all the other couples before I react to that.

Sid and Hannah do quite a bit of arguing in this episode, both about being long distance and the wedding. At first, I thought they'd be broken up by the end of the episode, but that's not what happens. Instead, they end up eloping. That's not what I expected at all, but I'm still suspicious about their chances of working out long term since they'll still be long distance and were already arguing about that. But we'll see. I am more optimistic about them working out than I was before.

Ellen picks up a random stray cat and tries to make it her emotional support animal, but the cat hates her. Lo and behold, the cat actually belongs to Rachel, who has begun moving in across the hall. I knew we'd see Rachel again, and she's actually giving Ellen a second chance quicker than I expected. I'm exciting to see where things go for them. Though Rachel's cat hating Ellen is sure to create some laughs.

Meanwhile, we learn that Charlie was upset because Valentina wants kids and he doesn't. This leads to them breaking up by the end of the episode. This really got to me more than I was expecting it to. I like that reason behind their break up because it feels very really and isn't something that gets brought up that often on television. I'm very curious about what their relationship will be like in the future. It feels like their romantic relationship has already been a bit all over the place in this season.

Back to Jesse and Sophie: Jesse ends up saying that he loves Sophie in his sleep, which freaks Sophie out. I'm not surprised by them going their separate ways. I was much more surprised to see Robin! But it was a good surprise.

Ironically, this ups Jesse's chances of being the father in my eyes, but who knows. I'm still suspicious of everyone.

It took me a ridiculously long time to fit together the connection between the captain's boat and Ian, but seeing Ian again was a nice surprise! I'd kind of been ignoring his chances of being the father because I didn't expect to see him again in this season, but I'm curious where this is going to go! Considering Sophie's comment about it taking a long time for her and the father to get together this, ironically, makes me think Ian isn't likely to be the father, but I wonder how big of a role he'll play in season two, and I'm excited to hopefully learn more about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment