Thursday, June 2, 2022

Obi-Wan Kenobi Part II Review

Here I am with my review for Part II when Part III has already aired. Whoops. I really enjoyed this episode and have a lot to say about it though. So let's get to it so that I can go watch Part III.

Obi-Wan ends up on Daiyu where the kidnappers have taken Leia. This series is the first time we've ever seen the planet, and I'm very curious about the place. It's definitely different from Tatooine. There are a number of interesting characters there, including a clone veteran who's begging for money. That's not something I remember seeing in Star Wars before, so it was an interesting detail.

A kid on the planet offers to take Obi-Wan to a "Jedi," but Obi-Wan quickly figures out that the Jedi in question is a fraud. The son of the woman he's helping is implied to have the Force though, so I really hope that kid's okay. It's implied that the fake Jedi did actually help them get off the planet, and it's that detail and the fact that he helps Obi-Wan later that makes him so intriguing. It feels like something significant happened to him, and I'd really like to know what it was.

The fake Jedi is able to give him information, and Obi-Wan finds where Leia is being kept. There's a moment where the kidnappers think they've tricked him, but Obi-Wand gets free and manages to find Leia.

Leia is excellent in this episode! She immediately attacks Obi-Wan when he enters her cell, and she tries hard to escape when she thinks she can't trust him. She also has some fantastic lines. My favorite was probably, "This would've been easier with the army." The fact that she's still carrying Lola around is also adorable. I really hope we get to see Lola fixed and working again before the end of the series.

There's also a heart-breaking moment where Obi-Wan tells Leia that she reminds him of someone, and of course he means Padme even though he doesn't say her name.

Not long after Reva arrives in Daiyu, the other inquisitors show up as well, and they're not happy about Reva's actions even though she has (kind of) been able to locate Obi-Wan. Her interactions with the other inquisitors make me curious about her backstory. The Grand Inquisitor makes a comment about her only getting the position because of her powers. We know that she can use the Force, but I wonder if there's more to it than that. Obi-Wan mentions that many inquisitors are former Jedi, so I wonder if Reva is particularly powerful with the Force and that's why she was made an inquisitor. I also wonder what made her so intent on finding Obi-Wan above everything else.

When Reva does find Obi-Wan, she reveals to him that Anakin is alive. To be honest, I didn't really consider Obi-Wan not knowing that at this point, so it took me a second to realize that it was the first time he'd heard that. Still, it's a heart-breaking scene.

The episode ends with a glimpse of Darth Vader in what I assume is a bacta tank. I hope that means we'll see more of him in the next episode. I'm genuinely very curious how that will go!

No comments:

Post a Comment