Saturday, November 8, 2014

Legend of Korra Review: Book 4 Episode 6: "The Battle of Zaofu"

I'm actually really surprised that Su and her sons fell for Kuvira's trap at the beginning of the episode. You would have thought they'd have been more cautious about that and now gotten trapped.

Korra, Jinora, and Opal in this episode were fantastic in my opinion. I was really excited to see Korra fighting Kuvira, and it was one of those fight scenes where I was on the edge of my seat and jumping up and down in anticipation. Jinora made a good point that all of the metal is out of Korra, so there's clearly something more happening with her. I was wondering if all of Korra's internal conflict was already solved so early in the season, and now I'm betting that it's not. I'm looking forward to seeing her confront whatever else she has inside as the season continues.

I was so frustrated when Kuvira lied to Opal about Bolin. I'm always frustrated when characters are lied to and I know they're being lied to but I can't tell them obviously. It drives me crazy. I just wanted to scream at Opal what had really happened to Bolin.

I also really loved Meelo and Ikki coming to save them on the bison. The best part was the giant air whirlwind I think. It looked cool, and I really liked seeing large scale airbending like that.

To be completely honest, I've never really thought of Varrick as smart. He always had a bit of the eccentric genius thing going on, but I always focused more on the eccentric side. I never really gave much thought to him being intelligent in any way. I think that's why I was so surprised when he managed to create a bomb and a timer and all of that like he did. I think it was the first time where I realized that he actually was some sort of genius or something and Zhu Li hadn't been the brains all along or something like that. I think I'd always known that on some level. I just hadn't acknowleged it because it didn't mesh with the rest of his personality.

Of course, his intelligence is overshadowed by the fact that he thought setting a bomb and then just trusting Bolin to get them out before it exploded with no prompting at all was a good idea.

I guess this means we won't be seeing the re-education camp. I'd been thinking about that a lot and how the camp was being built up to be something that I would never think Nick would allow to be shown. I just can't shake the thought that those camps have to be terrible, and the only way they can get away with it is by implying rather than showing what they're like. Maybe we'll see them later, but I'm actually betting we won't. I think they'd have to be toned down in order to appear in the show, and that would erase some of the power.

I do wonder what Bolin and Varrick will get up to now though. Will they go back to Republic City to attempt to find help or back to Zaofu or somewhere else? I don't think I even have a theory right now.

Even though the entire end of this episode was pretty heart-breaking, I think the disappointment the Beifongs show for Bataar Jr. was the saddest of all. He's really reminding me of Percy Weasley, especially starting in this episode, and I can only hope that he was a Percy-like coming around where he realizes Kuvira is crazy and turns against her. He really does seem to think that what they're doing is right, and I think he'll come around once he sees otherwise, which has to happen eventually. The more I think about it the more I really do think his story parallels Percy's really well, so hopefully it will in the future too.

I have no idea what the expect for the next episode, but it's called "Reunion" and Korra seems to be heading back to Republic City. I'm taking that to mean that she sees Mako, Asami, Tenzin, etc. again even if Bolin isn't there. I'm both excited and, oddly enough, nervous to see how that plays out. I can't believe we've made it this far into the season without them seeing each other again. I can't wait! I'm not sure what to expect between them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment