Thursday, June 30, 2011

Disappointments

When I get into a series, I get really into it.  I find fansites, forums, etc., and I love to hear what other people think about the books.  One thing that I've noticed in a lot of these fandoms is that there's always a group of people who's disappointed with the ending.  This isn't limited to books either.  I've also seen it in TV series.

Sometimes this group of people is large, and sometimes it's small.  However, in all of the fandoms I've been a part of, I've never been in this group.  I started thinking about why this could be the other day.  If you read my post about the Harry Potter epilogue, then you might already see why a bit.  I'm just not a person who's disappointed in the endings of series.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that I don't often let my expectations get to high.  I see some people with a long list of details that they absolutely want to see happen in the series.  On the other hand, my list is often extremely short.  As long as everyone's happy (minus the villians and maybe a few deaths) I'll probably be happy, or if the author has a good reason, I can even accept one of my favorite characters ending up miserable (though I'll always prefer a happy ending).  Because of this, no matter what the author decides to do, I'm open to the idea.  This, I think, is the biggest factor in my lack of disappointment.

I'm glad that I'm not someone who's constantly let down by the endings of my favorite series.  I love the fact that I read and enjoy the final books just as much, if not more, than I do every other book in the series.  I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter epilogue, I loved Mockingjay and thought the hijiacking was done amazingly well, and I even liked Breaking Dawn.  (I honestly don't see how Breaking Dawn is worse than any other Twilight book, but maybe that's just me.)  In fact, the final book is usually my favorite of the series especially if there's a happy ending involved.

(These past couple posts about happy endings have made me realize that I'm an incredibly cheesy person.  I love it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment