Friday, June 24, 2011

Nineteen Years Later: My Thoughts on the Harry Potter Epilogue

I've heard a lot of people say they aren't fans of the epilogue in Deathly Hallows.  I've never understood this because I was a huge fan from the moment I read it.  Then again, I'm a sucker for happy endings.  I love finishing a book and knowing all (or at least most) of the characters end up happy.  The epilogue gave me that, and I love it.

This is a little embarassing to admit, but around the time of Order of the Phoenix or Half Blood Prince (I can't remember which exactly) I'd already come up with a bunch of kids for a lot of the characters.  (I've always been a little proud that I actually gave Remus and Tonks one son, and I made his middle name Remus.)  I loved reading about their kids, and I loved that they were all happy.  I honestly don't care if it was a little cheesy.  Harry and the others deserved that after everything they'd been through.

I was really happy with the ending.  Other than having a few less people die, I couldn't think of a better ending.  (I do understand that people had to die though.)  I was happy with all of the couples at the end, which isn't surprising as I tend to support canon couples.  I had kind of thought about Neville and Luna being together, but I wasn't so into the idea that I was dissapointed.  Overall, I thought it was a brilliant ending.  I still smile everytime I read it.

Did you enjoy the epilogue?  Is there anything you'd change about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment