Thursday, June 16, 2011

Writing: Outlines

When I write stories, I love having an outline already planned out.  I find it really convenient.  I've only started using them in the past year or so, and I think it's really helped.  I never write a story now unless I already have an outline written out.

Depending on the story, the outline may be really detailed or just have a brief sentence for each chapters.  The outline for the story I'm writing now isn't very detailed at all, but one I'm currently planning is going to be much more detailed.  The story I'm writing now has four main characters whereas the future story is going to follow many different characters.  Obviously, with all of the additional characters I need a more detailed outline.  One problem with having so many characters is keeping track of what each of them are doing at all times, especially in relation to what the other characters are doing.  That's why I love having an outline.

I haven't actually begun the outline for this future story yet.  All I have are some ideas floating around in my head.  When I do begin the outline, I believe it will take a long time to complete.  I want to make sure that I have what each character's doing and all times down before I begin the process of actually writing.  It may take a lot of work, but it will make the actual process of writing a lot simpler since I won't have to figure all of that out then.

I love outlines.  Since I've started using them, it's made writing stories so much easier.  I always know how the story's going to pan out.  Of course, I always end up changing some things while I'm writing but having the outline there is very useful.

If you're a writer, do you like to use an outline?

No comments:

Post a Comment