Monday, August 29, 2011

Changes in the Harry Potter Movies

It's considered a given that when a book is adapted into a movie, things about it are going to change.  Certain things that work great in books don't work as well in movies and vice versa.  Still, fans are always going to wish that certain things had made it into the movie, even if they think the movie was awesome overall.

I love the Harry Potter movies, but that doesn't mean there aren't things about them I'd change.  For every single movie, there's at least one thing I'd have loved to see be kept in from the book.  In this post, I'm going to choice one thing I wish had been in each movie.

I think Sorcerer's Stone is the hardest for me since I actually saw the movie before I read the book.  Because of this, it's often hard for me to remember things that were in the book but not the movie.  I have a similar problem with Chamber of Secrets.  I was just so young when these movies came out that it's hard for me to distingush between the books and movies no matter how many times a read or watch them.  Plus, there aren't huge differences between those two books and movies I don't think, at least compared to the rest of the books and movies.

I think I'm going to choose Peeves for Sorcerer's Stone.  Technically, Peeves would work for every movie, but they'd actually filmed scenes with Peeves and then decided to cut them.  I would absolutely love to see that footage.  Peeves would have been great.

For Chamber of Secrets, I'd have to say all of the Valentine's Day stuff.  I completely understand why all of that was cut, but it still would have been really amusing to watch.

Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favorite Harry Potter movies, but I also have the most problems with it (which completely makes sense).  How can they have not talked about the Marauders backstory!?  To me that seems incredibly important.  You have no idea how many times I've had to explain all of that to people who haven't read the books.  It's basically impossible for people who haven't read the books to understand all of that.  They don't have a clue why Harry's patronus is a stag, why Sirius and Wormtail are animagi, or who made the Marauders Map and why Sirius and Remus know all about it.  I don't understand why they thought leaving all of that out was a good idea.  That's the number one thing I'd change in all of the movies.

Goblet of Fire is my least favorite Harry Potter book, and I don't have many complaints about things they changed in the movie.  They only thing I can really think of is Rita Skeeter being an animagus.  That would have been cool to see.  S.P.E.W. would have been cool too.  More houselves is never a bad thing.  In fact, forget the animagus thing.  I just want to see Dobby and Winky.

Order of the Phoenix had a lot cut from it of course, but the one thing I would have loved to see is Snape's Worst Memory in it's entirety (or at least more than they gave us).  We didn't even get to see Lily, and we find out later that she was the whole reason it was his worst  memory.  I really wish they could have given us more.

To just prove to you even more how much I love house elves, the biggest thing I would have liked to see in Half Blood Prince is Dobby and Kreacher interaction.  They basically gave us this when they added Dobby into the Grimauld Place scene with Kreacher, but I still would have loved to see them tailing Draco together in Half Blood Prince.

It's hard to think of something for Deathly Hallows Part 1.  It would have been nice to see Lily's letter and the picture of baby Harry.  (Babies are always awesome.)  There wasn't anything huge that I was upset to see cut out though.  (Unless I'm forgetting something, which wouldn't surprise me.)  They also didn't talk much about all of the Dumbledore stuff.

There were a ton of changes in Deathly Hallows Part 2, but I was perfectly fine with most of them.  I would have loved to see Percy make up with his family, but I can understand that being cut.  One thing that slightly annoyed me was the fact that Teddy was never even mentioned.  That's not entirely true since Harry mentions him when talking to (Resurection Stone) Remus in the Forbidden Forest, but since non-book readers don't know about Teddy, this just seems completely random.  I would have loved to see the scene where Remus shows up at Shell Cottage after Teddy is born.

What are some things you wish had been in the Harry Potter movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment