Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ron Weasley

My love for Ron Weasley will come as no surprise to people who watch my Youtube videos.  However, I've never really talked about it on my blog.  When I say love, I don't mean in a romantic way (as all of my friends seem to think), but I think he is an absolutely brilliant Harry Potter character.  He's my favorite male Harry Potter character and is only beaten for overall favorite character by Hermione Granger.

As a random side note about me having a crush on Ron, I'd like to share a conversation I had with two of my (non-Harry Potter fan) friends as we watched Deathly Hallows Part 1.  It was about halfway through the movie, and I was beginning to get frustrated of them constantly making fun of Ron.  After I defended him for the millionth time, Summer begins saying that I obviously want to marry him.  My Response?  "No way!  Ron and Hermione are made for each other!  If anything, I want them to adopt me so I can be a Weasley."  That about sums up my feelings.

I'll be honest.  When I was younger, Ron definitely wasn't my favorite character.  I was pretty neutral towards him.  I think I know what made me change my mind.  In elementary school, my friends and I used to play Harry Potter all of the time.  There were only three of us (except the occasional other person or two), so our games were usually limited to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.  Who do you think I usually played?  As we were all girls, there was often a competition over who would call Hermione first.  After that, my other friend would want to play Harry since he's the main character.  I usually played Ron because the other two would complain if they got him.  Over time, I began to enjoy playing him, and I often found myself defending him.  (I would like to point out that Summer was also one of these two friends.  She's always had it out for Ron, I guess.)

Re-reading the books now that I'm older makes me realize how amazing Ron's character really is.  Yes, he gets jealous, and he makes some huge mistakes.  Still, he manages to prove himself worthy of being Harry's best friend time and time again.  He's flawed, but he's a brilliant person and character.  I think he's easier to relate to than Harry and Hermione.  He's not the hero, and he's not the smartest.  I'm sure everyone reading this feels that way sometimes.  As a kid, I always identified with Hermione, but now I realize how much of Ron I have in me too.  We all make mistakes.  We all get jealous.  We've all said or done things we regret.

I'll always think of Ron as one of my favorite literary characters ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment