Saturday, August 6, 2011

Book Review: Reborn by Ley Mesina


Reborn (A Goddess of Night Novella)ISBN:  0012601624
Published:  May 26th, 2011
Publisher:  Ley Mesina
Read from July 18th to August 1st, 2011
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Lily Westbrook discovers that being half witch and half vampire is more of a challenge than she thought. When her powers mature on her eighteenth birthday, she unlocks a mystery that many witches thought was a legend.

After moving back to her birthplace in Cedar Creek, MA to attend Kensington University, Lily is instantly pulled deeper into the world she was kept from- the world of witches and vampires-uncovering the truth about her past and discovering who she is meant to be.
Review:

I enjoyed reading this, but I also have a few issues with it.  There were quite a few grammar mistakes, and it was a little distracting at times.  I was able to look past that though especially since it's self-published.  There were also times where I felt the writing was rushed.  A lot of things were summarized quickly when I feel they could have been described and talked about more.  I think I would have gotten a lot more into the story if more time had been taken to describe everything that happens.  I also felt that the ending was very abrupt.  I'm pretty sure that went along with the summarizing a lot though.  It just seemed to end at a weird spot for me.  This is a novella, but I really think it would have worked better as a novel.  There needed to be more room to explain things and go into detail.

Now that I've gotten all of that out of the way, I do want to say that I enjoyed reading this.  I found the characters and the mythology to be really interesting.  I really want to read the next book and see what happens to all of the characters.

I loved reading a story that focuses on vampires and witches since that's not a combination that's seen too often unless you throw in some other creatures too.  I'm not a huge vampire fan, but I love reading about witches.  I think the mythology in Reborn was awesome.  The Goddess of the Night was also a really interesting idea.

Even though I had a number of problems with this novella, I found it very interesting overall, and I look forward to any future books in the series.

I recieved this book for free from the author or publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. This in no way affected my review of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment