Sunday, February 1, 2015

Reign Review: Season 2 Episode 12: "Banished"

I reviewed last week's episode of Reign over on Youtube if you're curious what I thought about it.

Let's talk about Catherine first since she's my favorite character. I'm just not a fan at all of this story line with her seeing ghosts, and I'm beginning to hate it more and more as it goes on. With the way this episode ended it looks like it could be the end of the ghosts though, and I'm really hoping it is.

As for the way she killed Diana, I couldn't even watch that. That was quite an... intense (I guess) way to kill someone. I had to cover my eyes for it because I just couldn't take it.

That being said, I really couldn't stand Diana. Not in a "I'm so glad Catherine killer her" sort of way, but I'm also not all that upset that she won't be on the show anymore (although maybe she'll return as a ghost, who knows). What I am really upset about is how Diana drove a wedge between Kenna and Bash as if they needed something else. I love them together a lot, so I'm not happy about it. To be fair, I understand why Bash is upset, but I also don't really fault Kenna for not bringing it up. I'd actually forgotten she even did that until Diana brought it up. And Kenna's actions are easier to see along the lines of wanting someone to face the law than Diana who just cruelly killed two babies. I'm not saying Kenna's actions were saint-like or anything, but I just can't see them as on the level of what Diana did.

In BuddyTV's recap (which is what I use to help me remember what all I need to talk about) they talked about feminism in Reign and how much it was shown in this particular episode, and I just want to throw out my agreement with that. I don't really have much to add to that because I think they covered absolutely everything I would have said completely perfectly.

Reign does seem aware of the lack of power that women had during that time period, and they haven't seemed afraid to make that incredibly obvious at many points in time. I always love when they deal with that, and it was definitely a huge part of this episode for all of the female characters. It's made incredibly obvious that the only way any of them can hope to achieve respect or any sort of power is by having some sort of connection to a man. They've dealt with that throughout the show, but it was a huge part of this episode for everyone.

I'm happy to know that Claude didn't kill the twins. It makes it so much easier to like her. She's more sympathetic now than before, although I did already find her sympathetic. It has to really suck to have your mother act cold to you for most of your life and then to find out that it's because she thinks you murdered her sisters, which you didn't. It's just terrible. I really hope she gets a good story line in the future. I really want to like her, but I still find her quite annoying in many ways.

And then we have the love triangle with Mary, Francis, and Conde still going on. I hate it as much as ever. With Mary still dealing with the aftermath of her rape, she really doesn't deserve any of this. It's just terrible. I want it to be over with.

I did love the cute scene with Mary and Francis towards the end when she lets Francis sleep in her room though. That was cute, and I have hopes that they'll make it out of this just fine.

Mary's solution to the problem though is to try and set up Conde with Lola. I'm a bit torn on this. On one hand, I kind of hate that Mary's just like, "Conde won't leave me alone, Lola. You're single. How about you just take care of that problem for me by, you know, marrying him and having to deal with him for the rest of your life." On the other hand, I also get it. Lola has expressed interest in wanting a husband in the past, and she always seems to be paired off with creepy guys. At least part of Mary's motivation could have very well come from wanting Lola to be happy. However, she's also completely unaware about Conde's brother and how Conde is supposed to be a spy, which means she could just be setting Lola up with another "relationship" that will come to a terrible end.

All of that being said, their conversation was actually really adorable. Much more so than I expected. It made me want them as good friends at the very least. It's also the first thing that has made me really want Conde to be loyal to them in the end because I didn't really care before. (I don't hate Conde, but he's not my favorite. Actually, I might hate him a little bit.)

I was close to tears as Greer learned that she had to be sent away. I'm so, so upset, especially since she had no control over that money. I absolutely hate it that she's being punished for something her husband did, and something that he didn't realize he was doing at that.

I'm assuming she'll still be in the show. It didn't feel like she was leaving in that way. She could possibly be going to meet with Castleroy. I don't know. I don't feel like the situation with Leith is over either, and I have a feeling he'll factor into this somehow.

I really wonder what is going to happen next week. I'm hoping we see Greer, and she's not just gone. I think that's my biggest wish right now. I definitely don't want her to be gone for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment