Monday, January 18, 2016

Alan Rickman

Alan Rickman died four days ago as I'm writing this. I've really wanted to write something in honor of him since shortly after it happened, but I haven't because of a lack of ideas as to what I could contribute. I didn't know him, and there's absolutely nothing I can add to what's already been said about him. I don't have some wonderful, touching story about what effect he had on my life.

All I can tell you is that Alan Rickman's portrayal of Snape was an extremely important part of my childhood, and for years, I've considered him one of the greatest actors in the world. His death was a shock to me, and it took me a while to even process it. I've never before had such a strong reaction to a celebrity death. It was the first time I cried over one. The combination of the surprise and it being Alan Rickman really effected me.

Reading all of the stories from people who knew him since he passed has only made it harder to know that he's died. He seems to have been such an amazing person, and the fact that cancer had to take him is heart breaking.

As I said before, I really have nothing else to say other than that, but I felt like I needed to dedicate something (even if it's just a blog post) to Alan Rickman. It's the least I could possibly do, even if it means almost nothing in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment