Friday, November 11, 2016

Shadowhunters Season Two Trailer Reaction

Note: I wrote this more than a month ago when the first trailer was new, but with student teaching and everything else, I never got around to posting it. I know there's a newer trailer now, but truth be told, I have yet to watch it. That's on my to do list for the weekend.

First of all, can I applaud them for releasing that Malec picture before the trailer? I was already excited for a trailer, of course, but that picture bumped by excitement up exponentially. I still smile each time I look at it, and I've reblogged it an obnoxious number of times on Tumblr.

Malec's relationship in this season appears to be being handled in the exact way I wanted it handled. Yes, the trailer was only a small glimpse of it, but that small clip already shows that they seem to be handling any problems they're having in a mature way. I can only hope that is reflective of the season as a whole. That would be a change from the books (let's be honest), but we've also had some hints from the actors that this season will be even more different from the books than the first season. I'm excited for that after how well they did with the first season. I trust that any changes will be positive ones.

I am beyond looking forward to seeing Magnus and Alec's relationship develop over the course of the season, and so far, I have only seen things that make me feel positive about where they're heading. I'm thankful to the show for that.

The trailer also provided our first glimpse of Maia, and wow, am I happy to see her. Again, it was only a short clip, but I already feel like the portrayal of her on the show is going to be everything I could have asked for.

Unsurprisingly, much of the trailer was focused on Jace and the fact that he's sided with Valentine. It's disheartening to see Maryse give up on Jace so quickly in the trailer, but then, that fits with her characterization. Since I assume Jace comes back (but if they're diverging from the books, who knows?), I'm interested in seeing what happens to her and Jace's relationship once he's back.

Actually, Jace's actions are sure to affect his relationships with everyone. That scene with him and Clary in the trailer where he tells her to stop playing games fascinates me. Since I wouldn't say that Clary was playing any games with him in season one, I'm wondering if that's a reference to something in season two or if he's been manipulated by Valentine to believe something false about what happened in season one. If there's one plot point shown in the trailer that I'm most curious about, it's what exactly Jace meant with that line.

Overall, it was an excellent trailer. It hardly showed us anything at all, but it showed just enough to keep me feeling really good about season two and to amp up my excitement. With less than two months to go, it feels like we've been waiting for years. Here's hoping the rest of the wait manages to fly by. (It won't.)

How are you feeling about season two of Shadowhunters based on what we've seen so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment