Wednesday, November 30, 2016

The Beauty and the Beast Book Tag

In honor of the new live action Beauty and the Beast movie, I'm going to be doing the Beauty and the Beast book tag today. I found this tag through Jesse at Books at Dawn, and it was created by Kirsty at Kirsty and the Cat Read.

Here are the tag rules:
  • Thank the person who tagged you.
  • Mention the creator → Kirsty @ Kirsty and the Cat Read.
  • Match a book to each of the songs/characters below.
  • Tag as many people as you like.
"Tale as Old as Time" - A popular theme, trope, or setting you will never get bored of reading.

This is a difficult one. I feel like there are a lot, so it's hard to pick just one. I'm going to go with stories that explore the idea of soulmates. I want to make it clear that I don't just mean stories with soulmates in them though. I enjoy stories where the idea of soulmates is explored. Super extra bonus points if the world accepts that soulmates exist but then a character questions the idea. I love when authors explore the concept thoroughly, and it doesn't happen nearly enough.

Belle - A book you bought for its beautiful cover that's just as beautiful inside too.

I don't actually buy books based on covers that often or possibly ever. I have to have some other draw to the book, especially since I tend to decide to buy certain books based on what I hear said about them online. If I casually chose books in a bookstore, it would probably be different.

That being said, I'm going to choose Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: The Illustrated Edition because the entire draw of that book was the artwork. All of it is gorgeous, including the cover, and I'm in love with the thing.

Beast - A book you didn't expect much from but pleasantly surprised you.

Recently, I would say Story Genius by Lisa Cron. I like reading books on writing, but what I get from each one is typically limited. I take bits and pieces from each but not much more than bits and pieces. In the case of Story Genius though, I liked the ideas so much that I went all in and began using her system to write a book. I think it has some great advice for anyone who enjoys writing novels.

Gaston - A book everyone loves that you don't.

I have to have a good answer for this, but maybe I've pushed the book out of my mind. Since I can't think of anything recent, I'm going to say Hemmingway. I appreciate Hemmingway as a writer, but I don't get as enthusiastic about his stuff as a lot of other people. When we discussed his novels in my college English classes I always felt like one of the least enthusiastic people to be reading them, and the decision to have us read Old Man and the Sea as part of our summer reading in high school was probably one of the worst ideas my high school English teachers ever had.

Lefou - A loyal sidekick you can't help but love more than their counterpart.

Ron Weasley. Yes, the song "Sidekick" from A Very Potter Senior Year is playing in my head right now, and it will be for the foreseeable future.

I love Ron, and while Hermione is also Harry's "sidekick" and my favorite Harry Potter character, Ron is often treated as nothing more than a sidekick, making me feel especially protective of him.

Mrs. Potts, Chip, Lumiere, and Cogsworth - A book that helped you through a difficult time or that taught you something valuable.

The book Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli found me at the right time in my life I think. I was in eighth grade when I read it for the first time, and because of what was going on in my life at the time, I connected with it particularly strongly.

"Something There" - A book or a series that you weren't into at first but picked up towards the end.

I don't know if I have an answer for this one. Generally speaking, I don't dislike a series and then grow to like it. That's why I'm trying to become better about not continuing series when I didn't like the first one. Still, I can become more obsessed with a series as I continue further into it, and I think that happened with the War of Princes series by A.R. Ivanovich. I enjoyed the first book in that series very much, but by the time I reached the end, I was obsessed.

"Be Our Guest" - A fictional character you'd love to have over for dinner.

There are so many. How do I pick just one? In an effort to stay away from my more cliched answers, I'm going to say Peeta from The Hunger Games. Not only does he just seem like a great person to talk to, he could bake something really awesome for the dinner. That would be a huge bonus.

I'm not going to tag anyone, but if you'd like to do this tag, feel free. Also let me know your answer to any of these questions in the comments. I've love to hear how you'd answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment