Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Book Review: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

ISBN: 1451673310
Published: June 2013 (first published 1953)
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Read from April 7th to 13th, 2014
Synopsis from Goodreads:
The sixtieth-anniversary edition commemorates Ray Bradbury's masterpiece with a new introduction by Neil Gaiman; personal essays on the genesis of the novel by the author; a wealth of critical essays and reviews by Nelson Algren, Harold Bloom, Margaret Atwood, and others; rare manuscript pages and sketches from Ray Bradbury's personal archive.

Review:

I was incredibly excited when I learned that we were going to be reading this for my humanities class. I've heard a lot about the book for years, and I'd been curious about it ever since I learned what it was about. I went into the book with somewhat high expectations, and I'm happy to say that the book may have actually exceeded them.

I now consider Fahrenheit 451 one of my all time favorite books. I loved it. The topics it deals with (i.e. censorship, book burning, book banning) are all issues that I feel very strongly about. No doubt my passion for the theme of the book made me love it even more. I think the message of the book is even more important now than it was when Bradbury wrote the book thanks to new technology. Don't get me wrong, I love technology and certain television shows and all of that, but I think this book's message is so important for people to hear.

This is a book I would recommend to absolutely everyone. I think people who love reading will enjoy it because of their own passion for the topic. However, I also want everyone I know who doesn't enjoy reading to read this book because it could possibly make them understand the importance of reading. Of course, that's a bit idealistic and is incredibly likely to not happen. Still, I'd love for everyone to read this book. I really wish it had been required reading for me at some time during high school, but I'm glad I finally got to read it in college. It's definitely the best book I've read in months.

No comments:

Post a Comment