Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book Review: Extras by Scott Westerfeld

Extras (Uglies)ISBN: 1416951172
Release date:  October 2, 2007
Read from February 3 to 13, 2011
Awards: ALA Teens' Top Ten (2008)
Synopsis from Goodreads:

The world has become a different place since Tally Youngblood upset the Uglies, Pretties, Specials applecart. What it's like? Well, visualize an all-day, everyday version of American Idol, where everybody's a contestant and there are cameras everywhere. In this constant competition, teenager Aya Fuse ranks as a nobody; 451,369 to be exact. Of course, such obscurity has its small rewards, all of which have now become endangered by her friendship with the Sly Girls. Another futuristic thriller by Uglies trilogy author Scott Westerfeld.

My review:

I guess you could call this a companion book to the Uglies trilogy.  It introduces a new main character although several characters from the first three books do make appearances, including Tally.

I really enjoyed this book.  While the trilogy was good on its own, I think this book was an excellent edition to the series.  If you've read the other books, I'd definitely recommend reading this one as well.  If you haven't read the other books, then you should go read Uglies.  While this book has a different main character, it does take place after the other three books, and it's important to know what happened in those books before reading this one.

I really enjoyed the whole series, and I'm glad I read them.  They're probably my favorite series that takes place in the future after the Hunger Games.  I'm reading Bogus to Bubbly (which is a guide to the world) now, and Scott Westerfeld really created an interesting world.  I definitely recommend this series to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment