Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Leaving My Room Behind

One of the things I think will be incredibly strange and sad about going to college is the fact that I won't have access to my own private room anymore.  To be completely honest the idea of having a roommate scares me a little bit.  I'm not exactly a people-person, and I could see things going horribly wrong.  I'm sure I'll get along with them fine, but inside I'll be really stressed out by the fact that I don't have a place to go to get away from absolutely everybody.  Maybe I'll realize that I don't actually need that space, but I'm not sure that will happen. Being my introverted self, if I go a day without alone time I feel as if I'm losing my mind a little bit, and dorms with communal bathrooms aren't exactly great places for alone time.  I'm sure I'll have some amount of alone time, but will it be enough to keep me from going crazy?  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Then, we also have the sentimental factor.  I'm not entirely sure when my grandmother's old room became mine.  I'm pretty sure it was roughly about a year before her death which means I was about thirteen years old.  (My grandma could no longer climb the stairs, so she was moved downstairs and it was decided my sister would keep our old room and I'd take grandma's old one.)  My sister and I had shared my previous bedroom for about nine years before that, and I cried about moving out of that room.  (As in I literally went crying to my parents because of my distress and then I cried myself to sleep that night.)  Now, I've been in this room for about five years, which a little more than half of the time I spent in the last room, but I feel no less attached to it.  Plus, I'll be leaving the rest of the house behind for most of the year as well.  (In addition to family, friends, etc.)  Yeah, this fall is going to be tough...

No comments:

Post a Comment