Sunday, May 6, 2012

Korra Episode 5: The Spirit of Competition Review

I have to say that I was expecting an episode so focused on romance at any point in the series, especially not this early into the series.  (I never thought this kiss would come this soon!) The entire time I was watching I couldn't decide whether I liked where the episode was going or not.  I'm still not really sure.

I'm not usually a big fan of love triangles.  Sometimes there are exceptions if I feel it was done well, but I'd still rather there not be one.  From the beginning I was scared that there would be a love triangle in Korra, so when I saw it becoming a love "square" type of deal I wouldn't say I was very excited about it.

I was expecting Bolin to be better at wooing (for lack of a better word) girls after I heard him described as a lady's man.  He was definitely cute though, and I think there are plenty of girls who would have loved to be Korra in this episode.  I felt so bad for Bolin in this episode.  I can't imagine how much it must suck for the girl you like to have feelings for your brother instead.  That was what I was most dreading about this storyline: the fact that it involved two brothers.  I'm glad that Bolin seems to more or less accept things at the end though.  Hopefully, he'll be all right with anything that may happen with Korra and Mako in the future, as I'm sure more will happen there.  I suppose there's still a chance Korra and Bolin could be together at some point, but I just don't see it since there aren't mutual feelings at this point.  Mako and Korra each have feelings for each other, Asami's just in the way.  I have a feeling something will happen that will lead to Asami and Mako being over, which will allow Mako and Korra to be together at some point even if not right then.

I loved hearing a bit about how Pema and Tenzin got together.  That made me far more happy then it probably should have.  It just sounds so cute!  I wish we could get the whole story.  (I feel sorry for the other girl though...  Pema didn't describe her as a bad person, so it might have been really sad for whoever that was.)

The guy from the other pro-bending team who threatened Korra and everything.  I can't remember his name, but I find him creepy.  And he has the weirdest hair I've ever seen.  I just do not like him at all.

I'm really glad they made it through the tournament game, but I'm a bit sad they didn't do it by coming together and using team work before the match was over.  Instead Korra just kind of did it all on her own.  At least they made up though.  It would have sucked if everyone was still upset with each other at the end of the episode.

I also feel a bit bad for Asami since she's completely clueless about everything, even though I feel something a bit off about her.  According to what I've seen around the Internet, I'm not the only person who thinks something's up with Asami, but even if there is, I wish Mako would tell her what happened with Korra...  If anything, it could be interesting to see how she reacts.

I guess it will be interesting to see how everyone acts around each other in the next episode after everything that happened.  I'm looking forward to episode six!

No comments:

Post a Comment