Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Why I Hate Radio

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't listen to the radio.  In all honesty, I don't understand why anyone listens to the radio.  It's just the same songs over and over.  (Unless you're lucky enough to have Sirius radio or something that actually has more variety.)

I think my hatred for radio became even stronger over the years I worked for my aunt in her tanning salon though.  When you listen to the radio in the car for short trips, it doesn't really have time to frustrate you.  When you're laying in a tanning bed for twenty or less minutes, the radio doesn't have time to frustrate you.  When you're sitting there listen to the radio all day long while every single person tans, you start to realize just how repetitive the radio really is.  There were maybe four radio stations that the majority of people would turn on, and of those four, there was one turned on most frequently.  It was the local top 40 station, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that there was no way they played more than maybe 20 different songs on any given day.

Needless to say, when people left I immediately turned the radio off.  People would come in to lay, and it would be silent.  I can't even tell you the number of people who would say something along the lines of, "Isn't it boring in here?  How come you don't have the radio on?"  I don't know.  Maybe it's because I've heard the same song at least ten times today, and it wasn't even that good of a song in the first place.

Still to this day, I can't listen to most of the popular songs (pop or country) that came out while I worked there because it immediately brings back memories of hearing it over and over again.  If a song made it into the top five or something during that time, I probably hate it.  It kind of sucks because some of the songs were decent, but I just can't listen to them again.  I'm pretty sure they have completely reached the quota of times I can hear them in my life.  It makes me extremely grateful for cars that have CD players.

No comments:

Post a Comment