Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Life Post: Long First Week of Classes

This week has been quite the long one, and it's only Wednesday. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with starting classes and just adjusting to everything again after break. I'm eager for the three day weekend, even though I'm pretty sure that'll throw things off even more. Still, it'll be nice to have a bit of a longer break after this weekend.

Today I had my first humanities discussion, so I've now met with all of my classes. It'll be interesting to see how the discussion group goes this semester as it definitely will be different to my discussion group for humanities last semester.

We also had our first lecture in humanities today. It's a bit odd having the second part of humanities immediately following the first because in a lot of ways it's the same, but there are also things that make it different. I kind of feel like I'm still taking the same class, but I also have to adjust to some things. For instance, of the three professors who lecture in that class, two are the same I had last semester, and one is a new professor who I'm not entirely sure what the expect from lecture (and exam) wise. Overall though, I think it will be incredibly similar to last semester.

I'm also still enjoying my history of literary criticism class. We do have to write a paper for that class that's a bit daunting, but what we're doing right now is very interesting to me. There's usually a bit of literary criticism in literature classes, but I love having the opportunity to look at it more closely. I feel like this class is full of things that high school students always hate about their English teachers when they read novels. You have to think about all of the exciting literary theories and the different ways something could be interpreted, as opposed to just focusing on what you got from it. I actually happen to like that a lot so far, although we haven't done much of it. Mostly we focused on an article that was discussing Jane Eyre. I haven't read Jane Eyre (yet), but I found the views the author of the article expressed very interesting. We also read a piece by Gorgias that defended Helen of Troy that I really enjoyed. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in that class.

No comments:

Post a Comment