Monday, January 20, 2014

Top Ten Favorite Fictional Couples in Books

This topic came from Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  I'm going through and doing all of the old themes whenever I get a chance here and on my Youtube channel.

Apparently I haven't done a Top Ten Tuesday since October! That's just ridiculous. I got so behind on everything else that it got pushed to the side. Hopefully they'll start coming quicker again. We'll see.

You should expect a lot of these couples to come from the same books because they're fandoms I participate in and read (or even write) fanfiction for. The only sad part for me is that it's confined to books because otherwise I would have a lot more favorite couples to add.

*There may be spoilers for some books here as the couples I mention may get together later in a book/series.*

1. Ron/Hermione from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. This can't be surprising for anyone who knows me. Ron and Hermione were the first couple I shipped, and that was before I even really knew what shipping was. I love their dynamic, and I've since started to realize that I tend to look for Ron/Hermione-like relationships in other books as well. I just love that dynamic in couples. Plus, they're my two favorite characters in the books.

2. James/Lily from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. My love for James/Lily came pretty soon after my love for Ron/Hermione. I actually went through a period where James/Lily fanfiction was all that I read. I hadn't read any for a while until I found a really great one recently. It's made me miss them. I know they aren't actually in the Harry Potter books much, but they're Harry Potter's parents for crying out loud. That automatically makes them awesome.

3. Katniss/Peeta from the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. First of all, if I was given the opportunity to marry any fictional character, it would be Peeta Mellark. He's just kind of perfect to me. I know a lot of people have some hatred towards Katniss, especially when it comes to her and Peeta's relationship. However, I actually like how she talks about not deserving Peeta. She's fully aware that he loves her and is always trying to help her while she's entirely focused on herself and her family. But over the course of the series you see Katniss come to care for Peeta and view him in an entirely different way. As far as I'm concerned, she redeems herself with their relationship. Plus, I think the resolution of the series is absolutely beautiful. They've both gone through horrific things, and those things are never going to entirely leave them, but they are trying to be as happy as they can together.

4. Magnus/Alec from the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare. This is a new edition to the list since I just started the Mortal Instruments recently. I've still only read through book three, but I'm absolutely in love with Magnus and Alec. I've said before that I think the strongest point of the books is the characters, and Magnus and Alec are definitely my favorite in the series. I guess it's kind of like Ron/Hermione where it's my two favorite characters in a couple. That's never a bad thing. I do have some idea of what happens to them even though I haven't read the books because of spoilers. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the books and seeing where their relationship goes for myself though.

5. Remus/Tonks from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I remember getting extremely excited about Remus and Tonks as a couple as soon as I read Half-Blood Prince, even though I'd never given it much thought to it before. I remember reading the first chapter of Deathly Hallows and finding out they'd gotten married. I was reading the book while my family was sleeping, and I started running around the house I was so excited. I even woke my dad up just because I wanted to share my excitement. I didn't even react that passionately when Ron/Hermione got together. (I think because I'd been waiting for that for so long that I could only stare at the book in amazement that it had finally happened.) And Teddy... I have so many emotions about that.

6. Kit/Nat from The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. This was one of my favorite book from the time I read it in eighth grade, and I'm pretty sure it's made these lists before. I was in love with their relationship as a fourteen year old, and looking back on it I'm kind of proud of myself for it. Kit and Nat don't have a stereotypical romance story relationship. They're living in the very Puritan Connecticut colony, and while they care for each other very much, the values of their society come through a lot. That's very interesting to me, and one thing I love about them. It's just odd to me that I was intrigued by that even as a fourteen year old who you'd think would be more into the overly romantic and sappy relationships that are usually in media.

This is getting harder than I thought it would be. I've read so many great books with great relationships but I'm having so much trouble picking out certain ones.

7. Hazel/Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Of course! How could I forget Hazel and Augustus! I'm pretty sure this book winds up on pretty much every list too, but come on, guys. No one who's read it can begrudge them having a place on this list. I mean, they fall in love despite the fact they each have cancer, and they're not really sure how long they each have to live. Everything about their relationship is beautiful and absolutely heart-breaking.

8. Eden/Kiran from the Star-Crossed series by Rachel Higginson. Eden and Kiran are going to be the only star-crossed lovers type of couple on this list. I've made it no secret in the past that the Star-Crossed series are some of my favorite books ever. I'm typically turned off by "star-crossed" type romances, but for some reason I absolutely love Eden and Kiran's relationship. To me it's the perfect example of how to actually pull off star-crossed lovers in a non-cringey way. They definitely have the whole star-crossed thing going on, but both characters grow through the series, especially Kiran in my opinion. Kiran does some questionable things (end of the second book especially), but he betters himself. While they're relationship isn't perfect in the first several books (and I would have hated it had it ended there), they've worked to better themselves over the series which has made their relationship an even better one.

9. Laura/Almanzo from the Little House series by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Does this count if they're real people too? I wasn't thinking about them at all, but browsing through Goodreads for ideas I came across the Little House books. I remember when I first read them, and I was so excited to get to the part where Laura and Almanzo met and then started "courting" (or whatever you want to call it) and then married. There are a lot of things I admire about their relationship that aren't in the Little House books but that I've learned about them over the years as well.

10. Remy/Dexter from This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. I knew I wanted a Sarah Dessen couple on this list (since I love her books), but it was hard to choose because she writes some great couples. There are three Sarah Dessen books that I consider my favorites. Just Listen because I read it first, and it got me hooked on her books. And then The Truth About Forever and This Lullaby because they both stuck with me in certain ways. All three of the couples in those books are amazing ones to me for different reasons. Remy and Dexter usually win out as my favorite though. I love Dexter a lot. He's one of my favorite fictional guys (if I couldn't marry Peeta, it's possible I'd choose Dexter). Remy's a bit frustrating, but I like what she learns about herself over the course of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment