Friday, August 17, 2012

First Day at College

Well, I'm currently sitting in the dorm room that will be my place of residence in the coming months.  I'm not really sure how I feel yet.  The first day so far has went pretty well, but I'm already feeling a bit homesick.  The only problem I'm really having right now involves dinner.  The dinning hall is open right now, and I'm starving, but I'm extremely nervous about going to eat by myself.  When I came back to the dorm after my parents left, my roommate wasn't here, and I haven't seen her since, otherwise I would ask her to go with me.  Judging by how quiet the hall is, most people aren't here.  I have no idea where everyone's gone since none of the welcome week stuff is going on right now.  I'm exhausted and just want to eat.  Hopefully I can make it through a meal alone without feeling completely stupid.  Maybe I'll even make new friends.

I had a strange burst of confidence earlier today while waiting for the convocation to start.  For once I realized that most of the people here are strangers (since at least half the people were standing around alone), and for once I didn't feel awkward as I stood there quietly by myself (in a dress even, which I'm not usually comfortable in).  I'm trying to remember that feeling before I go down to the dining hall.  Maybe I'll find someone to sit with down there.  Maybe I'll end up eating alone.  Either way, it doesn't really matter in the long run. Neither option is going to hurt me.  I just have to keep telling myself that.

After dinner we have a residence hall meeting.  I'm not sure what exactly it will be about, but I'm suspecting some "getting to know you" games, which I've never been a fan of.  Then, playfair is after that.  I have no idea what that is either, but I'm guessing it's more "getting to know you" games.  I'm so exhausted that I just hope I can make it through it without collapsing.  If I make some friends out of it, then even better.  Now, I think I'm going to head down to the dining hall.  We'll see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment