Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Movie Review: The Romantics

Distributed by Falcon Films and Paramount Famous Productions
Written and directed by Galt Niederhoffer
Rated PG-13
Synopsis from Rotten Tomatoes:
Over the course of one raucous night at a seaside wedding seven close friends, all members of a tight, eclectic college clique, reconvene to watch two of their own tie the knot. Laura (Katie Holmes) is maid of honor to Lila (Anna Paquin), her golden girl best friend. The two have long rivaled over the groom, Tom (Josh Duhamel). Friendships and alliances are tested and the love triangle comes to a head the night before the wedding, when the drunken friends frolic in the nearby surf and return to shore... without the groom. Based on the heralded novel by producer, novelist, director Galt Niederhoffer, THE ROMANTICS is a Zeitgeist love story and generational comedy that breathes new life into the genre and recaptures the camaraderie of youth. -- (C)Paramount Famous Productions

Review:

I didn't really enjoy this movie all that much.  It kept me interested enough that I wanted to watch the whole thing and see the ending, but I wasn't all that into it.  I didn't like Lila's character at all.  She didn't seem to have much of a personality at all, and she seemed very immature.  It honestly almost seemed like she was kind of childlike in some aspects.  I think that was kind of the point, but I didn't like it at all.  Her character weirded me out.

I think my biggest problem was just the whole storyline though.  I didn't like that these two apparent best friends were fighting over a guy.  They never really talked about it at all.  I just didn't like how the movie portrayed friendships and marriage I guess.  It didn't set well with me.  I know it's probably realistic in some ways, but I don't like Laura and Lila's friendship.  It would have been fine really if it hadn't had the ending it had.  It was so abrupt, and I'm not really sure how I felt about it.  I'm not sure if any of this makes sense.  I'm not really completely sure how I feel about the movie, so I don't really know how to describe it.  Something just didn't sit well with me.  It was an okay movie but not all that great.

No comments:

Post a Comment