Monday, June 18, 2012

Book Review: Tallen (Quest of the Demon Aftermath #1) by M.L. Sawyer

ISBN: 9781921456619
Published: December 1st, 2011
Publisher: Equilibrium Books
Read from June 10th to 13th, 2012
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Growing up not far from the road to Chinta on the edge of the Jungle Dragon, Tallen is excited to have her two brothers home. Recent times have been hard, Tallen herself barely surviving an attack by a derelict stranger in their very own barn.
The war that never was has relieved them of their duty at Chinta, so much so, that her father, the Sergeant of the Guard, is able to return for a visit, bringing news of a possible suitor for Tallen, given that she is almost of that age.
Tallen is not sure what she wants, and the man her father brings home is not what anyone expected. But at least she knows that her family has her best interests at heart when the pompous, self-interested merchant's son is sent back to Chinta.
The aftermath of the Offworlder's quest remains uncertain, the battle apparently lost. But for a reluctant Tallen, the journey is only just beginning, upon a path from which there may be no return.
Review:


I guess this book is technically considered the first of a series, but it actually takes place after Quest of the Demon, which I reviewed here. I guess this new series is kind of like a companion to Quest of the Demon instead of being a sequel to it.  Either way, I'd definitely read Quest of the Demon first because I think knowing what happens in that book is helpful, even if it may not be absolutely necessary.


It was interesting to read a book narrated by a character that we only got to see briefly in Quest of the Demon.  Tallen ended up being a lot different by the end of this book than I would have expected her to be while reading the other book.  She definitely changed a lot during the book.  At some points I wondered if it was even possible for her to change so quickly, but then I thought about everything she went through, and I guess it's not too outrageous for her to be completely different after going through the horrible things she does in this book.


Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and I'm looking forward to reading the next one.  I'm a little disappointed that it will have yet another new narrator, since I loved both Darci and Tallen, and I'd love to read more from their point-of-view.  At the same time, since I loved reading about Darci and Tallen, I'm sure having another new narrator won't bother me for long because I'll enjoy their story as well.  I'm definitely anxious to see what happens to Tallen and Darci though, so I'm hoping we get to hear more about them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment