Monday, June 2, 2014

Reign Review: Season 1 Episode 22: "Slaughter of Innocence"

It's been more than two weeks, but I'm finally reviewing the Reign season one finale. Here's hoping I didn't forget anything. I will say right off the bat that the finale concluded a lot of stuff that I thought would carry over to the next season, but that's fine because they still have plenty of loose ends to cover.

Mary decides she's going to wear the English coat of arms as a statement that she's claiming the throne of England without her actually having to say that. I kind of cringed at that because it's a horrible idea, and I was much happier when Mary was writing to her cousin Elizabeth to show her support. I know a lot of people don't like learning about historical stuff because they're scared it'll spoil the show, but we all know who Elizabeth is right? I mean, she's queen while Shakespeare's writing his plays. We all know that Elizabeth will be queen for far too long for Mary's claims to work. I don't think that's a secret to anyone at all. So, with that historical perspective, I'm sure we can all see that Mary claiming the throne is a horrible idea.

I do love that Mary is stepping up into her role as queen though. Believe me, I do enjoy that. I just wish she was doing it without claiming the English crown.

Man, did Henry get creepy this episode. The thing is though, even though all of this stuff is because he's going crazy, it also still seemed kind of in character. I doubt Henry would have tried to steal his son's wife if he were sane, but still, trying to get all of the women he can has kind of been a theme with Henry even before he was crazy. It was hard to watch the scene where he was sitting in between Catherine and Mary and you could see both of their reactions to what he was doing. It was just painful. What really got me was that he really seemed to think Mary was interested in him.

We finally get to meet "The Darkness" and it's just a normal man. I think it's nice that they played that the way they did. People at that time really would have believed in magic the way people on the show do, so giving the audience that same sort of "is magic real or is it not" feel really helped but that sort of thought into perspective, yet in the end it wasn't magic and the show remained realistic.

Where do I even begin with addressing the couples?

Kenna and Sebastian are adorable as always. I love how they've made the best of their situation and really grown to care about each other. It's cute.

My heart is kind of breaking for Greer and Leith. I want so badly for them to be together, but I was expecting the problems with her already being engaged. What I really want to have happen is for Greer to open up to Lord Castleroy and for him to let her be with Leith because he truly cares about her. I know there are still issues with Leith not actually having a title, but with Francis now king after Henry's death, I feel like that's a problem that could easily be fixed in the future. I do want Lord Castleroy to be happy though because he's a nice guy, so I hope things work out for him. At any rate, I don't think Greer is going to marry Lord Castleroy and that'll be the end of it. This love triangle is going to carry over and continue to be a story, I'm sure of it.

Lola goes into labor in some random woman's house (poor woman), and Mary tells Francis that it's his child. I'm glad that's out in the open because I didn't think it would be this season. He deserves to know though, and while I'm sure this will be played for drama, I think overall everyone will be okay.

I am a bit concerned that there's now a plaque and Lola and Francis are locked outside the castle though. Random idea that came out of nowhere: what if the kid gets the plaque and dies? This isn't really a "I think that will happen" thing, but it's an idea that just occurred to me. That would be a lot of drama, and it would get rid of a future source of drama at the same time. I'm not sure if I want the show to do that because it almost seems like a copout, but who knows. Oh, wait. What if Lola gets the plaque and then dies, leaving the child to Francis and Mary to raise? I think that option actually has more potential now that I think about it. I'm pretty sure that kid doesn't exist historically, but neither did Sebastian, so the kid being raised by Francis and Mary seems likely to me. Plus, didn't Nostradamus's one vision involve Mary and Francis discussing a kid, so the kid probably lives.

Okay. Moving on from all that brainstorming. The only other thing I can think of to talk about is that Henry's dead and Francis is now king. I was just waiting for this to happen, so I'm not really surprised. The only thing that I find kind of annoying is that we never learned the source of Henry's madness, and now I doubt we ever will. That irritates me quite a bit because I'd really like an explanation, but I suppose there's nothing I can do about it.

I look forward to when season two starts and we get to learn more. I'm particularly anxious to see what happens with Greer and Leith. I'm hoping for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment