Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Review: Blonde Ops by Charlotte Bennardo and Natalie Zaman

ISBN: 1250030390
Published: May 6th, 2014
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Read from June 20th to 29th, 2014
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Pitched as The Devil Wears Prada meets James Bond for teens, featuring a fashion magazine intern in Rome who uncovers a plot to kidnap the First Lady.
Expelled from yet another boarding school for hacking, sixteen-year-old Rebecca "Bec" Jackson is shipped off to Rome to intern for Parker Phillips, the editor-in-chief of one of the world’s top fashion magazines. But when a mysterious accident lands Parker in a coma, former supermodel and notorious drama queen Candace Worthington takes the reins of the magazine. The First Lady is in Rome for a cover shoot, and all hands are on deck to make sure her visit goes smoothly.
Bec quickly realizes that Parker's "accident" may not have been quite so accidental, and when the First Lady's life is threatened, Bec is determined to uncover the truth. On top of that, Bec must contend with bitchy models, her new boss, Candace, who is just as difficult as the tabloids say, and two guys, a hunky Italian bike messenger with a thousand-watt smile and a fashion blogger with a razor-sharp wit, who are both vying for her heart.
Can Bec catch the person who's after the First Lady, solve the mystery of Parker's accident, and juggle two cute boys at the same time? Blonde Ops is a fun, action-packed romp through the hallways of a fashion magazine and the cobblestone streets of Rome.

Review:

I won this book through Goodreads First Reads, and I entered the giveaway because this looked like it had the potential to be a fun book. Overall, I think it did live up to my expectations. It was a fun book, and I can see a lot of people really enjoying it.

I did have problems with the book just because I couldn't get over how unrealistic everything seemed. I don't want to say too much and ruin the book for those who haven't read it, but Candace's backstory was the most illogical to me. I think those who've read the book can get what I mean from that. I didn't find that believable at all, and I had the hardest time with it.

The book was also incredibly predictable, and the love triangle all seemed rather pointless and boring. I honestly would have preferred the book without the hints at romance at all. Bec frustrated me where the boys were concerned because she really did string both of them along. I would say more about that as well, but again, I don't want to say anything spoilery.

The book was fun for the most part, and I enjoyed it enough to keep reading to the end. However, I wouldn't go into this book expecting much, and you really do have to suspend your disbelief for almost everything. I just couldn't get behind a lot of the story that seemed too unbelievable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment