Saturday, July 26, 2014

Legend of Korra Review: Book 3 Episode 8: "The Terror WIthin"

It's been a rough week for the Korra fandom, and while I definitely want to talk about this digital move that we're getting, I'm going to save that for the end of the post. For now, I'm going to stick to talking about the episode we got this week.

First of all, this season has been unbelievably amazing so far. There hasn't been even one episode that I was just neutral on, and there certainly hasn't been one I hated. This one in particular was extremely suspenseful the entire way through. My mom walked in the room about five minutes into the episode and asked me if it was over, and I think that's because five minutes into the episode we were already getting the sort of dramatic stuff you expect to be at the end of the episode.

At the beginning of the episode we see that Korra has, of course, caught onto metal bending incredibly quickly. I would say, "Of course she has. She's the Avatar," but after her struggles with airbending I don't think that really applies. At any rate, I feel sorry for Bolin, but I have complete confidence that he'll eventually get the hang of metalbending.

I'm still absolutely loving Bolin and Opal's relationship. They have just the right amount of cuteness and hilarious ridiculousness in their relationship. My favorite line of the episode was probably either, "Every time I eat raw kale, I'll think of you" or "At least we have kale." It's that sort of thing that I really enjoy about the two of them, and I'm really hoping they'll be together when the series ends. Bolin's kind of gone through a lot of girls for someone who gets so nervous around them, and I'm really hoping that Opal is finally "the one" in regards to who he stays with for the rest of the series. The fact that she'll be going to train with Tenzin and they'll be together again is definitely a good sign in that regard, I think.

Korra getting kidnapped was shocking. I thought they'd manage to get into the city somehow after all the bragging about how safe it was, but I really thought they'd get away with her, which I hadn't been expecting. They didn't, of course, but that had me on the edge of my seat for most of the episode. I particularly loved Pabu freaking out and Bolin's reaction. Mako when they had Korra though was the absolute best. They may not be together anymore, but that really showed that he still cares for her, which made the shipper in me freak out. His "let her go" line was perfection and had me jumping up and down. The emotion in his voice was just insane.

There are two other things about that entire fight scene that I really want to mention (other than the fact that the entire thing was just amazing, which was a given). 1. I loved Lin and Su working together. That was great. 2. I loved Mako believing in Bolin, and then Bolin saving the day. I love any sort of development with Bolin's character, and that was great timing since he'd been so down about being unable to metal bend.

Overall, the fight scene was just great, and like I said, it had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. The fight scenes in this show are just spectacular.

When they started trying to figure out who had let the villains into the city, I'll admit that I initially suspected Varrick. I can't be the only one. They even included his interrogation in the episode. I didn't for a second believe it was the one young guard though, and I'm glad the Krew suspected it wasn't either. I love any time we get to see detective Mako.

I'd started suspecting that it was Aiwei as soon as I realized it wasn't Varrick, so I was getting really excited when Mako suggested it could be him as well. I feel so bad for Su when she trusted him, but I also love that that gave us Lin comforting Su a bit. That was a sweet moment.

The bomb going off almost gave me a heart attack because I panicked and thought the Krew was really going to get hurt. Thank God for Korra. I have never been more relieved than the moment that I saw she had protected all of them. I actually couldn't find Asami at first and almost freaked out, but then I realized she was hunched down and just kind of hidden. So there were two moments of panic and then relief there.

I'm a bit worried about the hit Lin and Su's relationship will take once Lin finds out what Su did, but the Krew chasing down the villains should definitely make for some exciting episodes. I really look forward to seeing how that goes.

I talked a lot about this week's episode considering we only got one instead of two, which brings me to the next topic: the switch from television to digital. The new episodes are only going to be on the Internet instead of the TV. I don't think I've ever really gone on a rant here about how angry Nickelodeon makes me over their handling of Korra, but if you follow me on Twitter, you've seen it all. They've done a terrible job since A:TLA, and it seems like it's only gotten worse with Korra. I am unbelievably thankful that we're still getting the show and it wasn't just canceled. I just have to focus on that because there's nothing we can do.

The one thing I will complain about Nick right now is that they haven't even advertised the digital switch. There was no ad anywhere around this new episode that told people the episodes would be airing online now. They could have put an ad near when they usually put the ads for next week's episode, but instead there was nothing. The die-hard fans all know of course, but how can you not put something on TV to make sure everyone who watches knows? Nick just blows my mind sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going to try and not complain about the switch anymore. It's happened, and I'm just happy that we still have the show. I'll still be reviewing each week's episode of course, but I'm still just as excited to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment